Google AMP effectiveness

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.
Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Google AMP effectiveness

Post by Forsh » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:51 am

Do any of you use a Joomla Google AMP extension with your website and have good results? Just wondering if it's worth trying at all. I had a bigger website (few thousand pages) about 2-years ago and had mixed results. Not all of the pages would index as AMP and I kept getting notifications from Google about problems with the AMP pages. The website I have now is small (less than 100 pages) and has very little text so I don't even know if I would benefit from trying to use AMP again.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Google AMP effectiveness

Post by waarnemer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:53 pm

I dropped it some years ago as it meant a lot of effort for a little benefit.
also I did not like the fact that Google is dictating the way I develop my site to have it fit.
It almost looks like if you build your site according to the wishes of Google it saves them the effort figuring out how yours is made.. you are doing their work.

There is a lot I do like about Google but at some point it is enough Google in my life, I don't need more.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:19 pm

I agree with @waarnemer. If people think it's worth spending ~$50 (either to buy or lease for one year) to install an extension that interfaces with Google AMP then go for it. Just because I don't know anyone who's used it (or using it) doesn't put a blanket on the idea but I would also suggest that people might also question if the concept may end up being a passing fad that finds its way into the trove of passing fads of the likes of "Active Channels" in Internet Explorer 4.0, "Web Slices" in IE 8, and many other doomed activities invented by companies that have been trying to corner the web market. Who knows whether there's a future there?

Build your site how you want to build your site and not because of any specific technology. Visitors to your website—including search engine 'bots—don't give a hoot about the technology you've used to build your website. There are benefits to using some of Google's tools, sure, but Google ain't the bible on how people use the 'net. If you really want to know the answer to this question, ask your site visitors the question: "Do you appreciate the fact that I'm using (or not using) Google AMP?" :D
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

GerogescuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GerogescuM » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:46 am

Definition of AMP - "Website is scripped down of non-required CSS and Javascript to offer fast loading web pages while maintaining user experience."
You should try to achieve this without struggling with extra plugins. Get rid of unnecessary animations and effects, and you will speed up your pages.

rdsinfotech
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rdsinfotech » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:05 pm

There are benefits to using some of Google's tools, sure, but Google ain't the bible on how people use the 'net. If you really want to know the answer to this question, ask your site visitors the question: "Do you appreciate the fact that I'm using (or not using) Google AMP?"

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”