Trying to get a clean up of URL for SEO maximisation Topic is solved

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.
KiwiBA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Trying to get a clean up of URL for SEO maximisation

Post by KiwiBA » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:02 am

Hi
Looking for some advice in relation to SEO. I have a list of URLS that seem to originate from the tags I have on articles (See image). These have picked up by the crawler of my SEO tool RSSEO. They link to pages I have not created so it seems something internally is creating it. It seems like joomla has created a page for each tag.

Now I am trying understand this and am not sure what to google to search. So please help me understand the following:

Why are they created?
Does this have an impact on my SEO and page rankings?
If it is yes to the above what actions can I take?
Can i stop these being created or removed and how?

Looking forward to learning more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Trying to get a clean up of URL for SEO maximisation

Post by AMurray » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:03 am

Looks like they are *tags* you have created.

Tags are supposed to be beneficial to SEO....that's the idea anyway. The tags would have URLs associated with them, that would be expected.

What is your template; did you start your site with a quick-start template (that included Joomla) and install sample content? Maybe those things are all the sample content; that would be a plausible explanation, especially if as you say, you didn't create the page(s).

Perhaps you can provide a live link to your site, with the pages with those tags so we can see what's going on.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

KiwiBA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KiwiBA » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:16 pm

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:07 pm

KiwiBA wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:02 am
I have a list of URLS that seem to originate from the tags I have on articles.
That's normal for J!. When you add tags to articles, the Tags component collects the information and exposes them to what's called a view. In plain-speak, a view is like a menu item; you can create a menu item, if you want, but regardless of whether you actually have a menu item, pretty much anyone can use the URL

Code: Select all

http(s)://yourwebsite/index.php?option=com_tags&view=tags
I say "pretty much anyone" can do that but you can prevent people from accessing the view using the URL; that's beyond the scope of my reply, however, to explain in detail how to do that. :)

KiwiBA wrote:
These have picked up by the crawler of my SEO tool RSSEO.
I don't know anything about RSSEO!. If you have questions about that extension, I suggest you contact the developers who created it. The developers of that extension have a support help desk. ;)

KiwiBA wrote:
Why are they created?
As explained earlier, these URL are "created" automatically by J!

KiwiBA wrote:
Does this have an impact on my SEO and page rankings?
These things may help with indexing content on Google (or they may not) but, if you want an authoritative answer, you should write to Google and ask them. :)

KiwiBA wrote:
Can I stop these being created or removed and how?
There are ways you can prevent Google from indexing these URLs. Use the Google Search Console. There are ways you can restrict whether people can directly access those URLs by writing rules for .htaccess; you can also prevent search engines crawling those URLs by writing rules for robots.txt.

Unless you disable the Tags component, these URLs will be created by J!.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

KiwiBA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KiwiBA » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:36 pm

Awesome thanks for advice

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”