Google search result thumbnail

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Torini
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Google search result thumbnail

Post by Torini » Sun May 15, 2022 9:49 am

Hello!
So it is usually the case that right next to an organic search result we see a small image (thumbnail).
My ananswered questions are:
1. Why for some keywords the same site may have (and show) a thumbnail while for other keywords the same site shows no thumbnail?
2. How some sites manage to have a thumbnail that corresponds to a video file and not an image?

Hopefully I made clear what I meant with my questions.

Thank you!

kevinsolvify
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Google search result thumbnail

Post by kevinsolvify » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:46 pm

1. I think it mostly has to do with relevance. SERR is configured to provide as relevant information and content to the search provided. So therefore you see thumbnails pop up to a certain keyword but not for another. I'd suggest altering Alt text which provides better image context/descriptions to search engine crawlers, helping them to index and rank an image properly on the specific keyword and image search.

2. I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure I've managed to do this with a friends website using [youtube] uploads. Context matters but if you add the video to the landning page and it's relevant you'd might see it on Google.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”