Slideshow & SEO

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
SJS Workshop
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Slideshow & SEO

Post by SJS Workshop » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:24 pm

I recently read that using a slideshow is not particularly a good idea and can harm SEO. Seems to be a fair few articles about it but I wasn’t concerned because we don’t. After realising our ranking was dropping I looked to see if there was anything amiss. What I did find is that ‘slideshow’ can be found in the page source.

Two questions. Is a slideshow really detrimental to SEO and if so, is the fact it appears in the code an issue?

Thanks for any opinions.

sjstv.co.uk
Joomla: 3.10.8

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Slideshow & SEO

Post by AMurray » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:11 pm

Yes, they may not be the best thing for SEO, I've just been browsing the web and came to your conclusion.

But in some ways it may depend on what you want to use the slider for.

If you're showcasing a photo album (simply a collection of photography for instance) then look at different types of 'photo gallery' type extensions that place static images on the page, they may have the light-box type function or simply a thumbnail/large image type presentation.

Slideshows may bring other issues - e.g. slowing down your site loading, accessibility issues, or compatibility issues on mobile phones. (all factors that affect SEO).

So I would just say (as the non-expert) be sparing with slideshow use, and consider if it's really necessary for your site.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

SJS Workshop
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by SJS Workshop » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:23 am

See your point but we don’t want to use them, just get rid of the code but seems you can’t delete it.

We are not ready for Joomla 4 yet but interesting to see if it has the same issue.

Davidsmith89
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Davidsmith89 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:02 pm

A slideshow can negatively impact SEO if it slows down page loading time, provides a poor mobile experience, or lacks relevant content. The word 'slideshow' in the code itself isn't an issue for SEO. To avoid potential problems, optimize images, ensure mobile-friendliness, and include relevant content in your slideshow.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:56 pm

SJS Workshop wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:23 am
See your point but we don’t want to use them, just get rid of the code but seems you can’t delete it.
Slideshows come as extensions that can be uninstalled. They can also be included in some templates, especially if the website was installed from a so called quickstart package, consisting of a template and selected third party extensions.

SJS Workshop wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:23 am
We are not ready for Joomla 4 yet but interesting to see if it has the same issue.
The URL you posted points to a Joomla 4 website.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:19 pm

Davidsmith89 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:02 pm
A slideshow can negatively impact SEO ...
Statistics please to qualify your statement
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

braveman1122
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by braveman1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:08 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:19 pm
Davidsmith89 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:02 pm
A slideshow can negatively impact SEO ...
Statistics please to qualify your statement
It depends on the nature of the slideshow. So, first, we need to understand what exactly his slideshow means.

For regular slides, here is what happens.
It slows down the pages, changes headings for each slideshow, and changes content, thus it's confused search engines. So it's surely negatively impacting the site.

braveman1122
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by braveman1122 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:19 pm

SJS Workshop wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:24 pm
I recently read that using a slideshow is not particularly a good idea and can harm SEO. Seems to be a fair few articles about it but I wasn’t concerned because we don’t. After realising our ranking was dropping I looked to see if there was anything amiss. What I did find is that ‘slideshow’ can be found in the page source.

Two questions. Is a slideshow really detrimental to SEO and if so, is the fact it appears in the code an issue?

Thanks for any opinions.

sjstv.co.uk
Joomla: 3.10.8
I can see that your site has potential but it's not properly optimized for SEO purposes. Here are the key areas you need to improve.
  • Website design
    Technical SEO
    On page optimization
    Target the right keywords to target the right audience
    build some links (but your niche doesn't have much competition)

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”