Link to internal pages w/o passing juice ? Topic is solved

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
goble
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Link to internal pages w/o passing juice ?

Post by goble » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:31 am

Hello,

I have a photography website (with > than 2k pages). I have a few pages which I want to prioritize for SEO (over others).

Example: One of the main pages will talk about a topic let's say "Architecture in London" with quality texts. The page will also list photos (> 100) about this theme. These photos are relatively small i.e. 600px width and will display 4 in a row with their titles. This is the page I want to prioritize for SEO.

Each photo (of the main page above) is clickable and will bring to its specific page (i.e. A page dedicated to this photo where it will be displayed larger). On this page there will be some texts (not quality texts). I cannot afford to work on the texts since there are some 1,500 pages like this.

Question :
Am I draining out Pagerank from the main page because of the > 100 links which points the low quality pages ?
If so, should I use nofollow link on the main page to point to the specific photo pages ?

Thanks !
Mauritius Travel Guide https://explora.mu

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Link to internal pages w/o passing juice ?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:53 am

Are you using a Photo Gallery Component?

goble
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by goble » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:28 am

Hello and thanks @Per

No, the photos are k2 items listed by k2 tags page, please check example here :

Code: Select all

https://explora.mu/photos-hd/albion
This page is what I want to rank for. Keywords : Albion Mauritius
But the 46 k2 items listed there have poor content (and for these pages I don't care to be ranked)

geekkamal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by geekkamal » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:41 am

Hi goble, I'm Kamal j and I head the SEO department at GeekyAnts
From my experience, There're 2 instance here
1st = Pages in the same domain name ( example.com/page1, example.com/page2)
If your other pages are within the same domain address then you don’t need to worry about draining the page rank from the main page. That activity is called Internal linking and we should always link to important internal pages because that way google and other search engine crawlers will find it easy to crawl these links from the home page.

Recommended but not mandatory = Remember to add a 1st priority

<priority>1.0</priority>
for the most important pages and secondary priority to least important pages

<priority>0.9</priority>
. This will tell search engine crawlers to crawl the most important pages first. This practice is good for websites with high number of pages. You can also add the frequency for each of the pages if these pages gets updated frequently.

2nd condition= Pages are in different domain ( example.com, xyz.com)
If the other pages are in different domain then you should link the most important pages only and not all of them. You can use the

rel=nofollow
tag for less important pages.

Let me know if you have any more doubts.

goble
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by goble » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:24 am

Hello,

this makes sense, thanks !

ascan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ascan » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:16 pm

goble wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:31 am
Hello,

I have a photography website (with > than 2k pages). I have a few pages which I want to prioritize for SEO (over others).

Example: One of the main pages will talk about a topic let's say "Architecture in London" with quality texts. The page will also list photos (> 100) about this theme. These photos are relatively small i.e. 600px width and will display 4 in a row with their titles. This is the page I want to prioritize for SEO.

Each photo (of the main page above) is clickable and will bring to its specific page (i.e. A page dedicated to this photo where it will be displayed larger). On this page there will be some texts (not quality texts). I cannot afford to work on the texts since there are some 1,500 pages like this.

Question :
Am I draining out Pagerank from the main page because of the > 100 links which points the low quality pages ?
If so, should I use nofollow link on the main page to point to the specific photo pages ?

Thanks !
Hi @goble! It sounds like you're looking to prioritize certain pages on your photography website for SEO.

To answer your question, having over 100 links on your main page that point to low-quality pages could potentially drain PageRank from your main page. One solution could be to use nofollow links on the main page to point to the specific photo pages, which would prevent PageRank from being passed to those pages.

However, I would also recommend looking into ways to improve the quality of the text on those specific photo pages, even if you can't do it for all 1,500 pages at once. Quality content can be a major factor in SEO, so it's worth investing some time and effort into improving it.

Best of luck with your SEO efforts!

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”