URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Locked
ronaldoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:15 pm

URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by ronaldoo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Hello guys!

I'm using Joomla! 3.0 here and when I did use the Search Engine Friendly URLs I saw it on my menu link: http://localhost/mysite/index.php/2012- ... ticle-name

How can I set up to my URL be http://localhost/mysite/index.php/my-article-name (without the "2012-11-10-21-14-04")???

Thank you so much!

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by SimonHayter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Enable SEF in config menu, and rename txt.htaccess to .htaccess

And set the correct Live Site url in your config file.

ronaldoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by ronaldoo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:51 am

polomintus wrote:Enable SEF in config menu, and rename txt.htaccess to .htaccess

And set the correct Live Site url in your config file.
Hello, I have renamed the .htaccess file but the website doesn't work anymore. I'll check the Live Site correct URL and I'll post back soon. Thank you, polomintus!

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by SimonHayter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:23 am

If you are using a local lamp server that uses apache2 you need to ensure that you have mod rewrite installed within apache2. Also you may need to config the httpd.conf

I'm not the best person to ask on lamp as normally I use real hosting for all testing and just use sub domains. These are pre-setup and work without the problems.

ronaldoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by ronaldoo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 am

polomintus wrote:If you are using a local lamp server that uses apache2 you need to ensure that you have mod rewrite installed within apache2. Also you may need to config the httpd.conf

I'm not the best person to ask on lamp as normally I use real hosting for all testing and just use sub domains. These are pre-setup and work without the problems.
Alright, I use the WAMP server. Thanks.

SimonHayter
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by SimonHayter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:52 pm

As I said I dont use Lamps, or Wamps or even Xamps lol. But you need to check if they have mod rewrites. Check on their site or hopefully someone here can answer that question.

ronaldoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by ronaldoo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 pm

polomintus wrote:As I said I dont use Lamps, or Wamps or even Xamps lol. But you need to check if they have mod rewrites. Check on their site or hopefully someone here can answer that question.
Sure polomintus, I'll check this out soon and update this post. Thanks!

ronaldoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by ronaldoo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 am

ronaldoo wrote:
polomintus wrote:If you are using a local lamp server that uses apache2 you need to ensure that you have mod rewrite installed within apache2. Also you may need to config the httpd.conf

I'm not the best person to ask on lamp as normally I use real hosting for all testing and just use sub domains. These are pre-setup and work without the problems.
Alright, I use the WAMP server. Thanks.
Hello mate!

My configuration.php file have now:

Code: Select all

public $live_site = 'http://localhost/my_site/';
And I've renamed the .htaccess file and activated the SEF and URL Rewriting. I activated the rewrite module in my Apache too.

But... It doesn't work yet... Any idea? Thanks.

Thetjo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:33 pm
Contact:

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by Thetjo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 pm

The date gets added as an alias in some rare cases when Joomla isn't able to generate a proper alias. The problem also seems related to External Url, have you looked into that? http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2719574
http://www.conversionreview.com/ - Start improving your conversion rate with an expert review

ronaldoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by ronaldoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Thetjo wrote:The date gets added as an alias in some rare cases when Joomla isn't able to generate a proper alias. The problem also seems related to External Url, have you looked into that? http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2719574
Hey Thetjo, thanks for the answer. I'm not be able to test it now, but as soon I'm back to home I'll test and post again. Thank you!

ronaldoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: URL with unlike part - how to solve it?

Post by ronaldoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:06 pm

ronaldoo wrote:
Thetjo wrote:The date gets added as an alias in some rare cases when Joomla isn't able to generate a proper alias. The problem also seems related to External Url, have you looked into that? http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2719574
Hey Thetjo, thanks for the answer. I'm not be able to test it now, but as soon I'm back to home I'll test and post again. Thank you!
Great tip, Thetjo! It solve my problem! I just set the Menu Item Type to Menu Item Alias, typed an nice alias and it works pretty good!

Thank you so much for the answer!


Locked

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”