.htaccess problem with mod_rewrite

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
santi_ra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

.htaccess problem with mod_rewrite

Post by santi_ra » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi everybody,

first of all, I must apologize if this question was previously made; I've searched in the forum but didn't seemed to be written before (and that's quite odd for me, at least).

I've been trying to use URL rewriting in joomla! 3.0, but it's not working for me at this moment. All I can get is the -404 error- when I switch on this option. I've also searched across google in order to fix it, but haven't found a solution so far.

The mod_rewrite is working in the apache server (I tested it). I also read something about live_site parameter into configuration.php, but don't what it is...

What I've learned is that I must modify the .htaccess code, but havent found the right one that allows me to convert...

http://www.mydomain.es/index.php/contact

...into...

http://www.mydomain.es/contact

I also have to do it for the whole pages of this site.

I tried several codes, and don't know yet why it's not working. This is the last code I've written in .htaccess:

RewriteRule ^contact/$ /index.php/contact [L]

I think it should work fine, but... :'(

Does anybody know and can tell me why this code doesn't work? I feel useless with this :-[

santi_ra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: .htaccess problem with mod_rewrite

Post by santi_ra » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi again,

I solved the problem by myself, and think that you probably will kill me when I tell you what it was: I didn't renamed htaccess.txt into .htaccess ...

I feel ashamed right now :-)

Please, let me then reformulate the question: is there an way to turn...

RewriteRule ^contact/$ /index.php/contact [L]

...into a rule that doesn't make me to write newer rules when creating new pages on my website?

sergiotorres
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: .htaccess problem with mod_rewrite

Post by sergiotorres » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:52 pm

I dont think so. But you can get a SEF plugin for management this automatically (like AceSEF)

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”