SEF URL in

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
iDanny
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

SEF URL in

Post by iDanny » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 pm

I was told by an SEO person that using the "Search Engine Friendly URLs" / "Use URL rewriting" actually does redirection. He told be I was better using the "remove" language code option in the Joomla plugin for that.

I was under the impression the URL rewriting process just rewrote the URL ? Not actually redirect per se.

You're thoughts ?

Thanks
Danny
Danny
www.benu.ca
Online Success Agency

MaxLynam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: SEF URL in

Post by MaxLynam » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 am

Everything is redirection, including your domain name ... everything else on computers is IO and numnbers ... we just see the pretty stuff ;)

Basically, the SEF url is an Apache rewrite (at the OS level) so is nothing you need to concern yourself with - the SEF is doing what it should and isn't doing anything untoward if you have it set-up properly.

If you are not running a multi-lingual site then turning off the language code in the url is the right thing to do.
Max Lynam @MaxOnTheHill | Olinda, Melbourne, Australia | Joomla since 2005
Digital Marketing Consultant & Bootstrapped Website Builder - sitedev since 1993
{ http://www.maxlynam.com } { http://www.molehill.com.au }

iDanny
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: SEF URL vs SEO

Post by iDanny » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:31 am

Would Google prefer

www.domain.com/en and www.domaine.com/fr
or
www.domain.com and www.domaine.com/fr

By this SEO's account, the previous example causes a "301 redirection" and this isn't a positive thing for SEO ?
Danny
www.benu.ca
Online Success Agency

Humbert Humbert
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: SEF URL in

Post by Humbert Humbert » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:44 am

"301 redirect is the most efficient and Search Engine Friendly method for webpage redirection. " Most Apache sites do this.

I think it would be better to use en.domaine.com, etc.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”