Frustrated with sh404 and mijoSEF so back to native Joomla!

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Eyeseetv
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Frustrated with sh404 and mijoSEF so back to native Joomla!

Post by Eyeseetv » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:58 pm

ADMIN ~ I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

I'm relatively well versed in Joomla! 1.x & 2.x but I'm running into an issue with SEF URLs in 3.

I've tried sh404 & mijoSEF and all they appear to do is jack up the structure. Unfortunately, I had (4) interactions with sh404's support and they never once addressed my question of tiered categories not reading correctly. They were very nice folks, but I can't afford to not get a response on such a major part of the website. Mijo offers tooltips both in the admin interface and on their website...that don't clear up matters very much. The only way to get in touch with mijo or to see their tutorial videos is to pay them.

I'm thinking I'm stuck with the native Joomla 3 system but I'm having an issue with the URLs for Contact's Pages when you "Show Author".

A little more info, I'm creating a "User" for each Author, then a "Contact" and linking that Contact to the User. This is so that I can have an individual Author page for every Author that shows their articles. When admin creates an article, we then assign the Author to the article and it's linked to their Author page.

So when you "Show Author" in the article(s), the link in Joomla! 3 SEF comes out like this:

{site name}/component/contact/contact/130.html

as opposed to:

{Site name}/{Authors Name}.html

I have added a menu in the backend that is not available on the frontend, with just the authors listed which I'd read is a work around for this issue, but it's not working.

I've considered hard coding the Author link in the actual articles and turn off "Show Author", however we have over 4300 articles and well over 500 Authors. I'd like to avoid that if there's a fix for this.

Anyone else run into this issue in the past and get it working?

~ ESTV

energiefreiheit
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Frustrated with sh404 and mijoSEF so back to native Joom

Post by energiefreiheit » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:47 am

This information is great..than very useful detail this post..thanks..

Eyeseetv
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Eyeseetv » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:53 pm

I wanted to follow up on this.

I went ahead and bought MijoSEF and paid for the VIP support. I must tell you that this software is fantastic. The support is even better! There is so much in MijoSEF that helps to keep things in order. The only problem is that the software is SO robust that there is a VERY large learning curve.

I recommend folks try it out, but I would do this early in BETA on your websites so that you have time to configure and learn how to get the most out of it. It's a fantastic SEO system and even covers site-maps and metas.

Using MijoSEF allowed me to do exactly what I wanted to do with my Authors as I discussed above.

Hope this helps out someone who is looking for a solution.
~ESTV

FlashRebel

Post by FlashRebel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 am

Hi Eyeseetv,

I tried to test MijoSEF, but wait for aprove my registration on developer website. I really dont know how they can work like that ... but no my problem.
Just want to ask you, if you dont have any duplicate links with MijoSef ?
I mean how it works with canonical if you put menu for cagetory ? In core Joomla, if I put menu for category or article then I have one content with two links - cateogry/tittle and menucategory/tittle and then all duplicate for each content for that category ... and some others :D

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”