think my upgrade has been done wrong and affecting rankings

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
seaside man
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

think my upgrade has been done wrong and affecting rankings

Post by seaside man » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi, just been going through my google webmaster tools and i have found a number of soft 404 errors and was shocked to see these redirects going to my home page.

URL Response Code Detected 1 staging1/jupgrade2/component/k2/item/475-gastric-band-hypnotherapy-expert-says-government-are-not-doing-enough-to-fight-obesity

staging1/jupgrade2/category-menu/item/1068-coronation-street-nick-proposes-to-leanne

staging1/jupgrade2/category-menu/item/1086-coronation-street-fiz-nearly-gets-tyrone-in-trouble-with-kirsty

staging1/jupgrade2/category-menu/item/1155-coronation-street-kylie-considers-telling-david-about-her-affair

staging1/jupgrade2/category-menu/item/1157-coronation-street-fiz-is-worried-when-kirsty-pays-her-a-visit

staging1/jupgrade2/component/k2/item/750-actress-hilary-duff-is-sued-over-car-accident

staging1/jupgrade2/component/k2/item/843-what-your-dogs-bottom-scooting-behaviour%E2%80%99-really-means

I would have thought that the developer who upgraded my site would have either had these blocked or directed them to the correct page. i am now guessing that there are going to be hundreds of these appearing and would like some serious advice.

normally with old pages i would have them going to the relevant articles or pages but it seems the developer has redirected hundreds of these to my home page, which i guess is going to confuse google. i would like to know if this will confuse google have all these pages going to my home page.

i have tried to find out where the developer in my site has redirected the pages as they are not in my htaccess file, i use joomla. can anyone let me know what i should be doing with these to solve the problem

the problem i have is, these upgrade files like this one

staging1/jupgrade2/component/k2/item/475-gastric-band-hypnotherapy-expert-says-government-are-not-doing-enough-to-fight-obesity

this is a live article, so google is seeing the live url address which is http://www.in2town.co.uk/gastric-band-h ... ht-obesity

and then they are seeing the upgrade file which is

http://www.in2town.co.u,/staging1/jupgrade2/component/k2/item/475-gastric-band-hypnotherapy-expert-says-government-are-not-doing-enough-to-fight-obesity

all the upgrade files have been redirected to my home page, not sure this is right.
In2town Magazine is a popular magazine covering celebrity gossip, travel news, lifestyle news, gadget news and so much more. visit http://www.in2town.co.uk

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”