Seo Titles and positioning problem

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
bomkallo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Seo Titles and positioning problem

Post by bomkallo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:55 am

Hello there!

I've faced a terrible problem on few of my websites (mostly J! 3.1). They are indexed in quite strange way.

The first thing is that by default I have "show page title: before" enabled, then when I check the address at google I receive weird syntax which goes like "Offer:My page main title...". Could someone explain me why google converts "My page main title - Offer" to "Offer:My..." ?
I don't know whether that's the whole problem behind. Sometimes, even when the page is indexed since month or even more, I'm unable to find it by typing its main title, or it lands far far below the first top ten results. I'm giving you that example because my friend who puts pages with WP has normal results after few days (the page is quickly found by typing address.com or by main title). I can also try to set titles per menu-link, but it's a bit sadistic, but can eliminate the syntax I mentioned.
The second thing is that I'm using Gantry, but no clue whether it can affect whole situation.
I used not to implement sitemap at every page, robots.txt are original, friendly urls on, everything in head section looks almost identical to WP code, but google runs hell know where.

Now I'm waiting for google webmaster tools to catch up with the next crawler to see potential errors, but I'd be glad hearing some information regarding checking Joomla.

Thanks in advance

seggy24
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Seo Titles and positioning problem

Post by seggy24 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:32 am

hy man i aslo having the same problem in my blog

bomkallo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bomkallo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Ok, found one solution and I do investigate.
The problem might be rel="canonical" or rather wrong .htaccess setting that gives two sites in form of www.page.com and page.com.

I set hta to point to one domain, but now I'm not sure whether I should leave rel="canonical". Somewhere on the forum there was an information that Joomla 3.0 had bug with this, but I'm not sure if it was in that context.

bomkallo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bomkallo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:16 am

Temporary solution. After few comparisons I've found out that the main problem was the duplicate of the site. So rewrite rule has to be added to .htaccess. I'm going further into the subject to find some automation of the process in future development.

Jaimie Dijstra
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jaimie Dijstra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:11 am

I would always recommend you do the re-write rule first before doing any of the rest of the site. It causes problems otherwise once the duplicate content gets out on the net! First thing after you install Joomla on a server, enable the SEF url's and sort out the www or non-www (which ever you prefer) redirect.

bomkallo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bomkallo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:39 am

Yep. After few days we realized that the rewrite rule fixed all of our SEO issues. So the subject might be closed with 'solution found' status :)

jayrhl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jayrhl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:48 am

I too had the problem thanks for solution guys!!

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”