changing the "permalink" for articles

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
flashesb4
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

changing the "permalink" for articles

Post by flashesb4 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:47 pm

I have some articles in some categories which are nested.
With SEF enabled, the URL goes something like this

mydomain.com/main-category/nested-category1/article-category-id-and-alias/article-id-and-alias

so what google and facebook see is this url, even though i have a different menu structure that produces this url

mydomain.com/parent-menu-alias/article-id-and-alias

isn't there ANY way to make joomla see this url as the canonical one? I don't care if they both work (they do that already) but these are articles that are changed between the nested categories so I would like to have their "main" url stay the same (the second one)

i paid for sh404 and it was useless as it can only generate redirects and affect what google sees as the main url, but Joomla still gives out the "bad" url in the head as well as the <article> tag :/

I guess this can be done by "hacking" the router or the sef php files? Any ideas please?

PaulMore
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: changing the "permalink" for articles

Post by PaulMore » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:07 pm

AceSEF and SH404SEF have better SEO URL control than Joomla out of the box, have you attempted to use any of those plugins to make this easier?
Clearing out rubbish in the day and becoming a Joomla/WP design ninja at night.
www.rubbishclearancebournemouth.co.uk/about/

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”