Remove article id from url for joomla 3.0

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Remove article id from url for joomla 3.0

Postby Josh Lewis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Too many words. ;) I did like the gif from the article:

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for the compliment.... I created it

Leo 8)
Celebrating 12-Years of Professional Joomla Support Services
- Joomla Professional Support:https://gws-desk.com -
- Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions:https://gws-host.com -
- Member Joomla Bug Squad & J-CMS Release Team

gyrocog
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby gyrocog » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Too many words. ;) I did like the gif from the article:

Tried that, still doesn't work for me :(

andraspal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby andraspal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:44 am

Hi!

I enabled the new URL routing feature and also uninstalled "Artio jomsef" thinking I won't need it anymore. Now I have numbers after the urls!

Example: www.mysite.com/news-2/article-3
Obviously my article aliases have no number in them:-(
How can I get rid of this? is this some leftover bug caused by artio url optimizer?

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 am

After enabling the new router, did you select the remove id option that loads below the new router option?

andraspal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby andraspal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 am

Yes, I've done that (on many other sites too and it is working fine elsewhere) just like on the gif. But this is the only site that had artio SEF component installed. Before uninstall I clicked a "purge SEF URLs button"...maybe that was the problem?
Notice that these numbers are not ID-s, I think (they are the same everywhere) and are after the url. Weird, huh?

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 am

Caching? Residual files left over in the plugins? Speaking of which, have you made sure that there wasn't a separate SEF plugin activated at the moment (in case it didn't uninstall with the rest).

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 am

andraspal wrote:Yes, I've done that (on many other sites too and it is working fine elsewhere) just like on the gif. But this is the only site that had artio SEF component installed. Before uninstall I clicked a "purge SEF URLs button"...maybe that was the problem?
Notice that these numbers are not ID-s, I think (they are the same everywhere) and are after the url. Weird, huh?
Probably not so weird. Please post a link to your site

Leo 8)

andraspal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby andraspal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 am

This is all hungarian, but here it is: https://megujuloszovetseg.hu/esemenyek- ... tukreben-3

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 am

As expected just your browser cache. Please clear the browser cache since all links work as they should be

Leo 8)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 am

3rd party sef components often add cache to Joomla. After disabling/uninstalling 3rd party sef extensions clear Joomla cache. Also clear browser cache (leo beat me to it about the browser cache)

andraspal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby andraspal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:07 am

Ouch, I have cleared browser-, joomla-cache. Even tried from another pc and phone too. In all cases I still see them numbers in the URLs.

Of course the links now work if I delete the numbers by hand, but the actual website is linking to the articles with the numbers in URL.
Now, if you really dont see them, then I dont know what to do. Is it my router? My ISP? My county? My prime minister?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:08 am

Could you pm me a su login so I can have a quick look to see if it's a bug ?

subrat
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby subrat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 am

This is good new. Now we wont have to use any third party tool anymore. Awesome Job. Thank you team Joomla.
Quality WebDevelopment at http://www.webworkwiz.com
Affordable hosting http://www.vsmhosting.com

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Why don't I see any article id's? Did somebody test to get to https://megujuloszovetseg.hu and check actually from the main domain? All links are working as expected! VERIFY please!

Leo 8)

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:11 pm

https://www.screencast.com/t/4BREFqwYb

(Sigh .....why are people offering help onsite when we have no issue?)

Leo 8)

andraspal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby andraspal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm

I guess I didnt explaint the problem properly.

You just clicked on the menus, and that was never my issue. Articles that are linked to menu items never really had IDs even before 3.8.
Please click on article titles too! See? https://www.screencast.com/t/nNegshqutZZ
(sigh indeed)

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for clarifying (and ***sigh*** finally real info) so you only have this issue on that one blog Title-link (you do not have it on any other links as far as I can see) so your issue is clear now. I am not sure why this is happening since it does not happen on a vanilla Joomla blog so I need to talk to my peers and will feed-back as soon as I have more info. For now I suggest you switch off your linking on Titles

Leo 8)

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby Hackwar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Do you maybe have 2 menu items named esemenyek? And a form of multi-category extension? This is not something that the Joomla core would generate.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Hackwar wrote:Do you maybe have 2 menu items named esemenyek? And a form of multi-category extension? This is not something that the Joomla core would generate.
I have just looked in his admin he has category esemenyek as well as menu item. When an article in the list on the left is clicked ... esemenyek-2 is included in the url. The esemenyek menu item displays the 5 articles in that category. I can not find single menu items for them.

Conclusion ... because there is a menu item and category the same name then (even though the menu item is a category blog) -2 is being appended to the url of the Article.

andraspal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby andraspal » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:41 am

The new URL routing works fine, no worries. :-)
My problem was an secondary menu structure that had funny links to the same articles causing my double urls. It wasn't published but had this effect. Just had to find it in phpmyadmin.
Deleted this menu and its ok. Sorry for the all trouble and many thanks for the suggestions.

emeyer
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby emeyer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:27 am

I'm so glad to see this topic has finally reached the top of the heap. Originally I posted a proposed change to the redirect plugin to the dev forum in Joomla 3.3. After at least three Google developers told me I was an [censored], I asked the dev team, and they asked me to start a new code branch so my changes could get in core. I didn't have time to do that, so I submitted a plugin for it and put the code on my site. As of Joomla 3.4, it was announced someone else had put it in core by changing the core API, and all my plugins stopped working. But the redirect still didn't work in Joomla. I changed my plugin to work in Joomla 3.4. After waiting a year, my extension still had not been published, by which time it Joomla 3.5 was released, claiming to fix the redirect , and my plugin stopped working again. But it still wasn't fixed.

As of Joomla 3.8, some of the other features of my plugin are indeed working in core, at least, the automatic invalidate of individual cached content and pages upon changing an article. At least it works in the content cache, I haven't checked the page cache yet.

But the ID redirect still does not fix the problem I originally solved (in code I gave up fixing because the core API kept changing).

The original problem I tried to fix was (assuming redirect is suitable configured in global config):

http://myhost.com/1

Opens the page with MENU ID 1, not CONTENT ID 1, if there exists a menu ID of 1. Otherwise it opens the content ID 1, if it exists. This is a problem for SEVEN (that is 7) reasons now:

1. If another site links to yours with the ID, it causes your Google page ranking to go down because there are duplicate URLs for the same page. This is why the Google people, who rather seem to have taken over and continually break things, then call me an [censored] if I say anything, because they are doing this for their extra project, which is required at Google for all developers there, and if I point out their code doesn't work, they don't get such a good pay raise. So I understand that, but on the other hand, now my custom captcha code doesn't work either because Google changed the captcha API, and again I don't have time to fix it. There really should be a simple include for that that doesn't break every time Google decides to change things.

2. It is impractical to write redirects in htaccess for a site with hundreds of pages like mine, because there are multiple forms of URLs that similarly point to the same page. I just cite the simplest and most common example as far as I know.

3. One can't write a plugin to fix it oneself and update Joomla because the core API for it keeps changing.

4. When someone uses an alternate URL to open a menu item or article or categpry or other content item. modules don't show up on the page like they should, because they are conditionally inserted depending on whether the URL is the actual 'approved URL' for the page.

5. The content is cached separately, reducing performance for some users.

6. the menu item for the page with a duplicate URL is also in a module, so it doesn't sync or highlight for the page.

7. If you delete the menu item which points to an article, the URL can pick up a different article with the same ID after redirection. This is because Joomla auto increments the ID, so you have to go in the actual database and edit IDs directly in there to fix that.

regarding the other problem of content ID's showing up if you don't have a menu set for it, that really is just collateral damage, but it is more frequently noted by most users, so it has received far more attention than the actual core problem of duplicate URLs for the same page noted above. This is because, if you do have content with a menu item assigned to it, the URL which appears if you don't still also works, but with the six problems noted above.

I hope that clears up things for alot of frustrated users, especially people like me who actually tried to fix it too.

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby Hackwar » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:59 am

Sorry, but the posting by emeyer is so full of "alternate facts" that I can't simply let this go by. Here a few corrections:
emeyer wrote:Originally I posted a proposed change to the redirect plugin to the dev forum in Joomla 3.3.

The changes that I proposed and that were now ultimately implemented in 3.8 were originally proposed for Joomla 1.6. I don't really know what you proposed or what PR you created, but since you are talking about the redirect plugin, I have a hunch what you were trying to do and that sounds pretty much like redirecting upon being called via an unwanted URL. That actually is pretty bad for SEO, since Google will still index those other URLs and penalize you for making it do unnecessary work. The correct way is to throw 404s for wrong URLs and to only generate the right URLs from the start, both of which is being done in Joomla 3.8 now.

emeyer wrote:After at least three Google developers told me I was an [censored], I asked ...

emeyer wrote:This is why the Google people, who rather seem to have taken over and continually break things, then call me an [censored] if I say anything, because they are doing this for their extra project, which is required at Google for all developers there, and if I point out their code doesn't work, they don't get such a good pay raise. So I understand that, but on the other hand, now my custom captcha code doesn't work either because Google changed the captcha API, and again I don't have time to fix it. There really should be a simple include for that that doesn't break every time Google decides to change things.

I have no idea who you talked to, but I don't know anybody in the Joomla project who works for Google, especially none of the people in development-decision-power. Google has never had any influence on the development of Joomla. (outside of the normal influence that it has on all websites by being the largest search engine) Please refrain from spreading such false rumours.

emeyer wrote:http://myhost.com/1

Opens the page with MENU ID 1, not CONTENT ID 1, if there exists a menu ID of 1. Otherwise it opens the content ID 1, if it exists. This is a problem for SIX (that is 6) reasons now:

Your example would not open the menu item with the ID 1.

emeyer wrote:3. One can't write a plugin to fix it oneself and update Joomla because the core API for it keeps changing.

The routing of Joomla hasn't changed from 1.5 to 3.2 and even the changes in 3.3 and 3.8 are completely backwards compatible. I've fought for the last 8 years to actually finally be allowed to change the Joomla routing API, so I call bullshit on that one.

The other 5 issues that you mentioned are all one and the same issue and have in a way been solved with 3.8, as long as you enable the new routing.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

emeyer
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby emeyer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:10 am

I'm sorry, I can't speak for what happened after 3.5, because after my plugin stopped working due to core changes a second time, and my extension still hadn't been approved for publishing, I just deleted all my contributions to Joomla and unpublished my articles on it. I'm very glad to hear someone else has taken on the issue.

As for Google, I don't know who was rude to me either any more. I rather gave up on it altogether since the good friend I had there, who was the sixth employee and member of the original executive team, also quit for much the same reasons as I described to him when I turned down their job offer a third time. It's not the first time I had a fight with Google developers. I never bothered saying anything on the captcha before, but I pointed out the problem with Jquery version conflicts while the first jquery library was still in beta, and it still seems a problem fostered on users to solve rather than making it something the library resolves automatically, as I originally proposed.

emeyer
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby emeyer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:28 am

Hackwar wrote:

emeyer wrote:http://myhost.com/1

Opens the page with MENU ID 1, not CONTENT ID 1, if there exists a menu ID of 1. Otherwise it opens the content ID 1, if it exists. This is a problem for SIX (that is 6) reasons now:

Your example would not open the menu item with the ID 1.

Ah. Thank you for clarifying why my Joomla 3.3 plugin stopped working. That's how it worked then, and that is obviously the change since you started working on it. And apparently it took several releases to change that, so I wouldn't be surprised if a similar long time is taken to fix the actual problem. For myself, I'm sorry but I should have learned that the prior problems I had with user groups being hierarchical, which 3.4 was meant to fix and didn't either, that I should have given up on Joomla entirely way long ago. Good luck )

Edit, actually I think that was 1.4.

emeyer
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby emeyer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:35 am

Hackwar wrote:
The other 5 issues that you mentioned are all one and the same issue and have in a way been solved with 3.8, as long as you enable the new routing.

I can find no option to 'enable new routing' in 3.8.1. There used to be an option in the SEF plugin, where it would belong, and where it was before, but it is gone.

I did see an option in the redirect component that I won't touch because there is no documentation whatsoever on what it is meant to do.

EDIt: I will explain why,. The redirect only affects incoming URLs. It should be processed on the page itself, so any URLs in the content which make duplicate URIs for outgoing content are corrected in the content itself.

Also, moreover, the editors insert URLs for content which include content category, which stop working if you move the content to a different category. My plugin fixed that too, because it handled SEF, not redirect. Apparently that problem will continue for a while too. Just pointing it out )

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby Webdongle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:26 pm

Hackwar wrote:...
I have no idea who you talked to, but I don't know anybody in the Joomla project who works for Google, especially none of the people in development-decision-power. Google has never had any influence on the development of Joomla. ....

There was an instance a while ago where a 'secret' underhand deal was done with Joomla. The whistle was blown and (after a period of denials) the situation was sorted. I will not name names but those people AFAIK no longer have any direct links with Joomla. A lot of bugsquad members (when commenting on the issue) were removed without warning.

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby Hackwar » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:41 pm

emeyer wrote:I can find no option to 'enable new routing' in 3.8.1. There used to be an option in the SEF plugin, where it would belong, and where it was before, but it is gone.

Considering your mails to the Joomla developer list, you seem to have found the option in the meantime. However, I have a deep feeling that you have no idea what the different parts in Joomla do. The SEF plugin for example has little to do with the application routing. The application routing however is the part that is creating (and now solving) the problems.

emeyer wrote:EDIt: I will explain why,. The redirect only affects incoming URLs. It should be processed on the page itself, so any URLs in the content which make duplicate URIs for outgoing content are corrected in the content itself.

So instead of fixing the source of the problem, you rather want to mask it. Because the solution to the problem is simple: Force the router to only create the right URLs and reject false ones. Which we have largely done in 3.8.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”