Metadata in the article or in the menu item?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Caslavcg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Metadata in the article or in the menu item?

Postby Caslavcg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:34 pm

In second tab "Publising" are fields "Meta description" & "Meta Keywords". But in menu itemes are same fields (in the seventh tab "Metadata").
Where is better to enter metadata, in the article or in the menu item? Is it a mistake if I enter in both places?

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 32868
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Metadata in the article or in the menu item?

Postby Webdongle » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Meta data in the Article overrides the Meta data in the menu.
Member of Joomla bugsquad
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 32868
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Metadata in the article or in the menu item?

Postby Webdongle » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:28 am

edr567 wrote:I suggest you to use Meta data in menu items.

Why ?
Member of Joomla bugsquad
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/

User avatar
AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:13 am
Location: México
Contact:

Re: Metadata in the article or in the menu item?

Postby AlexVega » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:02 am

Hi there,

The general idea is that these values are adapted to the size of your site.

If you have a considerable amount of articles it's ideal to place these values
individually, this will give you control over them and will avoid that you have
repeated values, which is penalized in SEO.

Cheers!

wallacemw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:59 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Metadata in the article or in the menu item?

Postby wallacemw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:33 am

Caslavcg wrote:In second tab "Publising" are fields "Meta description" & "Meta Keywords". But in menu itemes are same fields (in the seventh tab "Metadata").
Where is better to enter metadata, in the article or in the menu item? Is it a mistake if I enter in both places?


Pretty confusing huh.

THE RULE OF THUMB

If an article is linked to a menu item, the menu item metadata is presented, not the article metadata. If you leave the menu item data blank, the HTML will not have any metadata; even if there is metadata in the article! It's a complete override.

HOWEVER, if the menu item is a category blog, where the article is not directly linked to a menu item, the article metadata is presented.

The take away is two-fold:

    1. Any article directly linked to a menu item, takes the menu item metadata.
    2. Any article NOT directly linked to a menu item, takes the article metadata.
There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who do not.

phonghup
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Re: Metadata in the article or in the menu item?

Postby phonghup » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:47 pm

Meta Keywords now no longer matter, Google can determine keywords by its AI system through the user's search query

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 32868
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Metadata in the article or in the menu item?

Postby Webdongle » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:18 am

wallacemw wrote:...
If an article is linked to a menu item, the menu item metadata is presented, not the article metadata. If you leave the menu item data blank, the HTML will not have any metadata; even if there is metadata in the article! It's a complete override....
You are incorrect. The Article Meta Content, Keywords and Robots are not overridden by the menu item.


wallacemw wrote:...

HOWEVER, if the menu item is a category blog, where the article is not directly linked to a menu item, the article metadata is presented.
...
Incorrect because the Article Meta Content, Keywords and Robots are used irrespective of a menu menu item directly linked to the article. If the Article Meta Content and/or Keywords are not present the the Menu values are used.



wallacemw wrote:...

The take away is two-fold:

    1. Any article directly linked to a menu item, takes the menu item metadata.
    2. Any article NOT directly linked to a menu item, takes the article metadata.
Wrong again because the Menu Content and Keywords are only used when they are absent in the Article Meta. The Menu Robots (of a menu pointing to an Article) is never used because the Article setting for it is used.

The other settings use the Menu settings over the Article settings unless
It's a Featured/Category blog set to 'use Article settings' .AND. the Article doesn't have it's own menu item.
But the Article Meta Content, Keywords (when present) and Robots take precedence over the menu settings
Member of Joomla bugsquad
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/


Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fisz and 10 guests