301 redirects

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
gofer123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

301 redirects

Post by gofer123 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:58 am

Hi folks,
I've got myself into a bit of a tangle here, I rebuilt a client's site with some extra content but basically the same, when verifying with Google I inadvertently selected (in the site settings) example.com instead of http://www.example.com. Now his adword campaign has disappeared from the search results. I went back into Google and made sure I had verified both versions and was then able to select and save the www. I have also inserted into the .htaccess file this code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [L,R=301,NC]

But the site is still coming up as example.com and there is no show of the adwords. As you could imagine my client is getting a bit anxious, I would really appreciate someone's help.
Cheers
Last edited by toivo on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: changed the domain to example.com - please do not link to WordPress sites, this is a Joomla forum

24x7server
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: 301 redirects

Post by 24x7server » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:35 am

When you apply 301 redirect that time there are chances of lower SEO ranking. So you will have to replace all new URLs with old URLs. So be in touch with your SEO expert and ask him to update it correctly. Also, you will need to update the correct URLs in Google AdSence manager.

johnsimth774
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnsimth774 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:28 am

301 redirect also known as a permanent redirect. By using this method we can inform search engines that a web page has been permanently moved to a new domain. You can easily redirect traffic to your new site using 301 redirect, without losing rankings.

Search-Expert
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Search-Expert » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 pm

How long has it been since you did the 301 redirects? You'll have to wait awhile for Google to recrawl and replace all the links in the SERP.

gofer123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by gofer123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:49 pm

OK, will do and thanks for replying.
cheers

johnsimth774
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnsimth774 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 am

301 redirect is a method of telling search engines that a web page has been permanently moved to another URL. 301 redirect also known as a permanent redirect. I think you should wait till Google re-index and your website and pass value to new URL’s.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”