I searched the forum and found out I am not alone with this, but was not able to find a solution. Here are the specifics of my installation:
Joomla! Version Joomla! 3.7.5 Stable
Joomla! Platform Version Joomla Platform 13.1.0 Stable [ Curiosity ] 24-Apr-2013 00:00 GMT
PHP Version 5.6.30-0+deb8u1
Web Server Apache/2.4.10 (Raspbian)
WebServer to PHP Interface apache2handler
Database Version 5.5.57-0+deb8u1
Database is mySQL.
The installation is on a test machine to learn and practice Joomla!
Like others, I would like to hide index.php, instead of that I got 404 error .
I followed directions found here: https://docs.joomla.org/Enabling_Search_Engine_Friendly_(SEF)_URLs
What I have done is:
- Rename /html/htaccess.txt to /html/.htaccess
- Enabled the rewrite module in Apache2
- Enable Plugin System - SEF (was already enabled)
- Search Engine Friendly URLs set to Yes
- Use URL Rewriting set to Yes
- Adds Suffix to URL set to Yes
What is missing ? I remember last year testing CodeIgniter that I had a hard time doing the same.