Changing all my website

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tetosan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Changing all my website

Postby tetosan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Hello there!

My website became quite old and I will renew it to this age. It really really need it :-[

I already have everything for the change, but I'm afraid about articles in the new site, how Google will deal with them. Articles are pretty the same as in the old site, and they already have their visits, their ranks, and there are some articles which are really good for Google.

I'm planing to set 301 redirections from the old articles to the new ones and reset creation and publish date of the articles to the current one. My question is, shall google keep the previous rank? I know that some of my articles have been duplicated by some robots in another domains, Will google take the oldest article as the original one? how to prevent that?

Thanks in advance!
El e-Informático - http://www.eleinformatico.es

dmorell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Changing all my website

Postby dmorell » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:56 pm

After you have set your 301 redirects are the most important. Google will follow the 301 and adjust accordingly.

However, you will also want to pay attention to your internal link structure. Google uses internal links to determine important pages within a website.

If you remove many internal links in the new design your pages will lose rank. This is because Google thinks you have degraded the value of those pages by removing links pointing to them.

If both of those things are good. You will want to look at your new design. Make sure it is mobile-friendly, and fast.

It may also be a good idea to try and get any backlinks pointing to your old content updated to your new URLs. This will help as well.

Good luck with the updated!

tetosan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby tetosan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:48 am

Hey dmorell!

Thank you so much for your comments! really appreciate it.

But I'm still afraid about how google will treat my posts. As there are some articles which have been duplicated for some other pirates, my articles in the new site will have recent date, the pirate's article will have older date and I dont want Google to label them as the original :(
El e-Informático - http://www.eleinformatico.es

Rickie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Rickie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 am

When replacing an old blog with a new one, the first thing to keep in mind is to follow the pages URL structure if it’s possible, because it will save you a lot of time in the future.
Secondly, you should learn the difference between the post publishing date and the updating date. Microformats.org offer more information on this.
Thirdly, try answering the question if the old content is still relevant today.
Nützliche Ratschläge, Neuigkeiten, Design Ressourcen für Webdesigner und Webentwickler: https://www.popwebdesign.de/popart_blog/de/

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”