hyphenated web address

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
gofer123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

hyphenated web address

Postby gofer123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:53 am

Hi Folks,
A site I have just published is ranking really badly when I search on just the company name. I'm not an SEO expert but I'm reasonably conversant with the basic and what I should be doing with Google like sitemap, verify site, install a SEO extension like SEOSimple make sure there is title and description but without much luck in the rankings. I was wondering if the hyphenated web address is causing the problem, e.g. www.company-abc.com Visitors wanting to find the company would be using the search phrase "company abc" would have to go to about page 8 in Google, needless to say my client is not too impressed.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
The site is Joomla! 3.8.2

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: hyphenated web address

Postby gws » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 am

gofer123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby gofer123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks for that, will read through it.
Cheers

andy fev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby andy fev » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 pm

The hyphen is not a factor. Is the domain new? Are there other domains that exactly match "company abc", and have greater longevity? Is there relative content at the site that defines "company abc"?

In essence, there are numerous factors that will affect a new domain/site SERP, but the hyphen is not one.

gofer123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby gofer123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks for the reply andy fev, that's a relief re hyphen, yes, it's a new domain and I only uploaded the site 11/11.
I made sure "company abc" is included with h1, h2 header tags throughout. I've been quite successful with SEO in the past and was a bit concerned I had stuffed up badly somewhere.Regards matching "company abc" domains, there is a domain that is the same without the hyphen i.e. "companyabc".
Cheers

Furiousnow
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Furiousnow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:46 am

andy fev is right, there are many factors that go into it. If it's a brand new domain and site for a local company the best place to start would be some simple local optimization such as Google My Business and make sure the website is listed in the profile. Simple put you need a lot more than just onsite SEO which is sounds like you've been working on already.

This is from 2014, but there's some more info on where to start here:
https://moz.com/ugc/a-beginners-guide-t ... al-clients
Internet marketing, web design and development, and Joomla enthusiast.
https://www.bleery.com/

gofer123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby gofer123 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi folks, thanks for the info and help, will check everything is set correctly and wait.
Cheers

davidwlgs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby davidwlgs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:44 pm

A hyphenated domain name doesn't hurt your site's SEO. However, I always avoid using hyphens in the domain name because will make the domain name harder to remember for the clients (many people will just forget to add the hyphen in the domain name when they type the website URL in their web browser).

gofer123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby gofer123 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:33 am

Yes, I agree, would have preferred without hyphen but for that combination of words the domain name was not available sadly. Thanks for the reply.
Cheers

TCoder
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby TCoder » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:26 am

Don't worry about the hyphenated address, I bet you're probably on page 1 in google if you type in "company abc", because they tend to rank Exact match domains higher. Google on the other hand can take a while to get an EMD to page one, depending on what keywords are being used. You're going to have to do a little more than On Page SEO, to start ranking it. Try writing guest posts and doing you tube videos, they always seem to boost SERP a little.

gofer123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby gofer123 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:34 am

Hi TCoder,
Thanks for the tips, will check those out. Fortunately, in the last couple of days searching on "company abc" has improved by 3 pages so it's heading in the right direction.
Cheers

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”