meta description or text from the article?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jefit
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

meta description or text from the article?

Post by jefit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:45 am

Sometimes a Google search result shows the article meta description and other times it shows an excerpt from the article. If all my articles have meta descriptions, why does Google pick and choose?

mjparadac
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: meta description or text from the article?

Post by mjparadac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

jefit
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jefit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Wow! Great links!
Thankyou so much!

kevinix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kevinix » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 am

Well... If you do not have meta descriptions, Google extract content from your page and adds it. Check Google search console for duplicate meta descriptions.

dmorell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dmorell » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Another thing you should consider is that Google recently changed the displayed meta description length. In the past, it was around 140 characters. Now, as of late 2017, I usually see it between 260 and 320.

According to Google's John Mueller if your site has a shorter meta description Google may pull a longer meta description to display from the content of the page.

In everything, I have read and seen the optimum meta description is around 280 characters.

alexnguyen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexnguyen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:15 am

mjparadac wrote:Hello jefit

These article could help you:
https://docs.joomla.org/Using_The_Meta_Description
https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 5624?hl=en

Hope this helps.
Regards,
great links. thank you

Boshi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Boshi » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Hey,
the thing is, that if a visitor is searching keywords that you have in your meta description, Google will use your description. If you have the keywords in your page content but not in the meta descriptions, Google probably won’t use your meta tag description.

I did my own little research on this topic https://blog.spotibo.com/meta-description/

Also after the recent change in meta description length, Google usually uses your meta description tag, if it consists a visitor’s searched keyword. Just use focused keywords on each page also in meta description and there is a big change Google will use it. ;)

schilderijen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by schilderijen » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 am

In fact it is entirely up to Google to decide what is shown in the search results.

If Google think they have a better description for either meta title or description than you, then they show that instead.

Maulikshah
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Maulikshah » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:04 am

By the recent algorithms update, Searchenginland and Searchenginejournal confirmed that Google allows around 300 characters in SERP descriptions.

As per my knowledge, Google will pick up best relevant content portion from web page to serves best related result in SERP. So that type of fluctuation happen based on search queries.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”