Useful links page and SEO

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ita4012
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Useful links page and SEO

Postby ita4012 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 am

Hi. I have some "useful links" pages in my website, which show links to other websites urls. Some of these pages are very much appreciated by visitors, but I am wondering the impact of them on SEO.

First of all, I have been told that such pages are not good for my website, because they let visitors to stay on my webiste for a while, but they allow them to exit very fast from it, to go to another one, which is a non sense.

Secondly, those links relates my website reputation to that one of linked webisites, which is not always good, and that may impact on SEO.

So, how would you solve this matter. Is it enough to set "Index, no follow", in urls links and in my website page containing those links?

Thanks

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Useful links page and SEO

Postby sozzled » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:53 pm

ita4012 wrote:First of all, I have been told that such pages are not good for my website ...
Who "told" you this and what makes you believe it? What authoritative source were yiu given. If you cannot provide that information then no-one can assist you.

ita4012 wrote:... those links relates my website reputation to that one of linked webisites, which is not always good, and that may impact on SEO.
I cannot understand this statement. It makes no sense to me.

ita4012 wrote:... how would you solve this matter?
There is nothing here to be solved. Someone "told" you something that may not be true and you have written something else that doesn't make any sense.

What version of Joomla are you using? When did these problems begin?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

ita4012
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby ita4012 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi, I've consulted some web-agencies, and they told me that those pages with lots of links to other websites were not useful for me, since they do not help to keep visitors on my website.

As for reputation, they told me that if I link a website that for Google has problems of reputation and I, not knowing that, put a link to it in my website, the bad reputation can be attributed by google to my website.

Were they completely wrong?

Can I leave some of these pages in my website, without any problems. What would you do?

Thanks

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby mandville » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Are these the same agencies that promise to put you on page 1 of every search engine and their email addess is either gmail or hotmail. ??
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:22 pm

I agree with @mandville: what many "web agencies" tell people are myths, folklore and superstitious nonsense in order to seduce the naïve and gullible. If you cannot name these "web agencies" then there's no basis for this discussion.

I asked you to tell us (a) what version of Joomla you are using and (b) when you started having problems. You did not answer those questions. This only increases my view that this topic is a waste of time.

There are no right or wrong absolutes in search engine optimisation. There are degrees in how much time and money people waste arguing, debating or searching for SEO nirvana. Good luck.
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

ita4012
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby ita4012 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm

sozzled wrote:
I asked you to tell us (a) what version of Joomla you are using and (b) when you started having problems. You did not answer those questions. This only increases my view that this topic is a waste of time.

a) My joomla version is 3.8.5.
b) I do not have any problems. I am just reasoning about what consulted web agencies told me.

Thanks

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:52 pm

If you do not have any problems with J! 3.8.5 then don't worry. These "web agencies" are only after your money.

pixelprojects
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby pixelprojects » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 am

ita4012 wrote:As for reputation, they told me that if I link a website that for Google has problems of reputation and I, not knowing that, put a link to it in my website, the bad reputation can be attributed by google to my website.

Were they completely wrong?

Can I leave some of these pages in my website, without any problems. What would you do?

I think there are two issues here:
Creating value for your visitor and SEO implications

If these links create value for your visitors and that's your aim then great, mission accomplished. If you want the visitor to be aware of the link resource, but you don't necessarily want them to leave your site, you could consider making those links open in a new window or tab. Depending on your site's goal/purpose, this might be an option.

The SEO implications are more subject to interpretation. If you have enough quality content on your site then one page with links to other sites is not going to make a difference to Google (or any search engine).

If you are paranoid or not convinced, you should set those links to 'no-follow'. This will prevent the search engines from crawling them and none of your link juice will be passed to these sites. Your site visitors will still be able to access and click these links though. Everybody wins!

I hope this makes sense. The bottom line is you have some options, but there shouldn't be any major impact on your site if you do nothing.

Good luck
Web Design, Digital Marketing, Photography, Photoshop - http://www.pixelprojects.net

ita4012
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby ita4012 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi pixelprojects. Thanks for this clear and complete answer!

Simon_J
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby Simon_J » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi ita4012, I totally agree with pixelprojects. Its not all bad to link to other websites, especially not if they are authoritative and relevant. But sure, you can add a nofollow as well.

And will just add that it actually can have a good impact in some cases to link out and secondly, remember NEVER to have nofollow on your internal links.

Koweit
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby Koweit » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:56 am

If I remember well, Ahrefs has made study about some on-page factors. The study shows that linking to high-autority website may increase the ranking (not too much of course but still).

To be fair, it's unclear weither it has to do with the external links or the fact that big content websites put always sources in their article.

oakmarklondon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby oakmarklondon » Sun May 13, 2018 1:36 pm

As I mentiones in other posts there is some tools that you can get a free trial to check both on and off page as well as some keywords. The onse I use are MOZ, sem rush, AHREFS, and LongTailPro. Look around for free trial.
http://shampoobar.net
Natural and Chemical free Cosmetics

alexkevin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby alexkevin » Tue May 15, 2018 12:01 pm

what kind of website are you running ? , give us more information about your website to help you. and if you are talking about this then you know that wikipedia is one of the top website and what it do is it contains a huge amount of outbound links. so does that mean it hurts their website reputation ? think about it, there is nothing like that

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”