Name item menu or item list, H1, Title as different separate fields

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Hoakinn25
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Name item menu or item list, H1, Title as different separate fields

Post by Hoakinn25 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 am

Hi everyone. I've got some troubles with SEO because Joomla have no options that would allow to set 3 parameters separately from each other:

1. Title page (using as h1 and name item menu or list)
2. tag H1
3. meta tag Title (<title></title>)

These problems are actually for category page, article page and others.

Example page «Article»:

1. meta tag Title is set from field «Browser Page Title» - it's good

2. Title page (when using categories/articles list views) and H1 are set from field - «Title» - it's bad

The second point creates many problems because 2 parameters items are the same BUT they must be different!

Does why it make problems?

The main cause is understandable and simple representation of the element in terms of 3 parameters.
Example - my site is about english grammar. Page is about «the present perfect» and it must have the following values:

1. Item name - The Present Perfect

Example:

2. H1 - Definition of the Present Perfect tense
3. Title - The Present Perfect in English grammar - free online guide

As you can see, three items should be different!

Example page «Category»:

1. Name item list (when using categories views) and H1 are set from field - «Title»

2. there is have no ability to set tag Title BUT * i have found a solution to the problem*:

Code: Select all

<?php 
$document = JFactory::getDocument();
if ($this->category->note) $document->setTitle($this->category->note);
?>
Now i can set <title></title> for category using field «Note»

But i don't know how solve a major problem - to set Title page (it will use for name in categories list views) and H1 separately from each other? Please help me to find the way to set h1 for category and article as autonomous and separate parameter

P.S.

- I know that i may to start the content of every article with an <h1> but it's wrong way because i have a lot of page and i must manage them through a template

- i hope don't use any plugins for fix it

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Name item menu or item list, H1, Title as different separate fields

Post by waarnemer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:48 am

help me... why is the title of an article or category bad as title for SEO? If your article title is bad for SEO it is bad all the way...

SEO best practice is to follow the rule: "make your site for humans not for machines"

the H1 "problem" could be adressed by your template... but H1 is only to be shown one time per page.

Hoakinn25
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Hoakinn25 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:22 am

waarnemer wrote:help me... why is the title of an article or category bad as title for SEO? If your article title is bad for SEO it is bad all the way...

SEO best practice is to follow the rule: "make your site for humans not for machines"

the H1 "problem" could be adressed by your template... but H1 is only to be shown one time per page.
Exactly, that SEO best practice is to follow the rule: "make your site for humans not for machines"!

You said - If your article title is bad for SEO it is bad all the way...

I think it is very generalized.

My article title will be shown in two places as H1 and item name (for example, when outputting a tree of all categories and subcategories). Browse page title is set as a single value now.

If my article title (H1) is - «Definition of the Present Perfect tense» or «All about the Present Perfect tense». Then another page where all categories and subcategories are displayed as a tree, the title of this page will be the same . I think the more correct name will be - «The Present Perfect»

See example - Image

Hoakinn25
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Hoakinn25 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:28 am

As I understood in the Joomla 3 initially it is not possible to set Article title and h1 separately (basic templates). It does not depend on the template.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Your article name should only be H1 if it is the same as page title...

article view -> article title = page title <h1>..</h1>
blog view -> category title = page title <h1>..</h1>, article title(s) <h2>..</h2>

can all be done in template intelligence but not all templates provide... it better be in the template so authors cannot screw up... (if you have a team of authors, template is king... all you can fix in template you can turn off in the editors like tinyMce and JCE ;) )

The odd thing in Joomla however is this show page title feature in the menu items... if you turn that on, the title may show as duplicate H1 and H2 (if you are lucky) and some templates for that reason do not even use H1 tag...
It can be done in the template, but you need some overrides doing it.

a <title>..</title> tag set may very well have the same title as what is in the <h1>..</h1> but if you do not want that, your code solution comes in handy, but you need to keep up with this when changing templates...

Hoakinn25
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Hoakinn25 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:16 am

I do not have experience in programming, so I spent a lot of time looking for solutions and I've solved this problem - I do not use the field - Created by Alias so I override it as h1. Now I can manage all the parameters separately

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”