Does Modern Routing Work

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
mothy5000
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Does Modern Routing Work

Post by mothy5000 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:43 pm

I just discovered the modern routing option. I found the only article on this option states to do this in a test environment first before deploying it to a live site. The article was written in October of 2017. I'm assuming when 3.8 first came out.

My question is this now a safe thing to do on live sites with later versions of 3.8? I always back up my sites before making non-content changes.

Is it still recommended to test first?

What other issues has anyone encountered?

Does doing this even matter?

deleted user

Re: Does Modern Routing Work

Post by deleted user » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:06 pm

It is always recommended to test bigger changes to a site in a testing environment so you can fine tune things without messing with your production site. Then when you're comfortable with the changes, make them to the live site.

mothy5000
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mothy5000 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:52 pm

mbabker wrote:It is always recommended to test bigger changes to a site in a testing environment so you can fine tune things without messing with your production site. Then when you're comfortable with the changes, make them to the live site.
Thanks for your reply. If you read my post I already address backups and testing before going live. I'm more interested in hearing from those who have recent experience with the Modern Routing option and if this is a safer task than when originally launched.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:21 pm

With new sites, there should not be any issues.

For upgrading an existing site, you have to deal with URL changes towards search engines.

mothy5000
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mothy5000 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:With new sites, there should not be any issues.

For upgrading an existing site, you have to deal with URL changes towards search engines.
But nothing to worry about relative to the site itself? Most of my sites do not use the blog feature so most URLs are domain.com/services/residential-heating or domain.com/contact-us. I don't see where using modern routing even matters with these for SEO reasons or am I missing something?

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”