Prevent AMP page to open?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
the apprentice
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Prevent AMP page to open?

Post by the apprentice » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:40 am

I have set AMP pages as so it's advised, but can I still have AMP pages without Google proposing it as page to open instead of the canonical page? AMP pages are hardly the same in terms of layout and I think it prevents usability as well. I would like the ordinary page to open but still have the AMP page valued by Google. Doable?
Last edited by Per Yngve Berg on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Relocated the topic to the SEO Forum.

the apprentice
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Prevent AMP page to open?

Post by the apprentice » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:59 pm

For now I though I'd just 301 redirect mysite/amp to mysite, hope that isn't badly judged by Google.

the apprentice
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by the apprentice » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:18 pm

anthonysmith07 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:15 pm
I have a local business, I've set up the AMP pages after it's not necessarily so I removed them!
I removed the redirect.
But is Google ranking websites with AMP pages higher now or no?
My AMP page is somehow less nice than the canonical one so I put "Accelerated Mobile Page (AMP) of xyzdotcom, click here for full website version".

the apprentice
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by the apprentice » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:50 pm

I don't see how the 404 error would come up if the AMP pages are set up correctly, what I do see is that AMP pages can be quite simple and aestethically poor so it may increase the bounce rate.

occultfish
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by occultfish » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:57 pm

AMP is just a change in the rendering of the page(simple). You can customize the pages any way you like. Clicking any links on the amp page will likely lead you to the non-amp version of your website.
Thanks

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”