Removing Index.php Topic is solved

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
masoonic
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Removing Index.php

Post by masoonic » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi there,
I just changed my mind and started a new design for my Website and I changed Url to non Index.php url too...

after removing Index.php from url ... what should I do in google webmaster... should I re-index all of my site pages or I need to redirect the urls Inside my host(honestly I didn't redirect any url till now and don't know how it works) or I should do sth else in G-webmaster...

another problem is I have a custom 404 page but when I use wrong url it just automatically redirected me to home page not to that custom page before going anywhere.... what should I do for that too ??!

Thank you.
w8ing to hear from you!

smpleader
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Removing Index.php

Post by smpleader » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:59 am

Did you try htaccess for 404 before Rewrite ?

kashifsaleem
I've been banned!

Post by kashifsaleem » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:34 am

If your website pages are indexed in google then go for 301 redirect and redirect old pages to new ones to preserve link juice and for 404 pages make list of all pages and disavow them from search console or if you have relevant new pages related to 404 ones use redirection.

Vitali D
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Vitali D » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 am

After removing index.php you need to create 301 redirects for every page from ulr/index.php > new url., update your sitemap, update sitemap in search console. Or you can ask google for reindexing your pages manually in search console crawl > fetch as Googlebot > add URL > request indexing.

changlee
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by changlee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 am

You do not need redirects.

Just update your sitemap to Google. Every index.php/page will redirect to the new /page

No problem with 404.
If you do not programm your life, someone else will do it for you.
SMTP Newsletter APP: https://www.emailbat.com

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”