Loss of SEO

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
tchao57
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Loss of SEO

Post by tchao57 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Hello everyone,

after the redesign of a website I realized that the site's position had dropped drastically, from the 1st to the 4th page, or even the 5th.

We kept the same domain, the same page title and the same meta.

By typing on Google "site: www.mysite.com" I see that there are plenty of unused URLs on the site.

The site in question is the following: www.lovaphoto.fr

What can I do to go back in the results, I confess to be a little lost there, I think I did everything I needed.

Thank you in advance.

lefteriskavadas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Loss of SEO

Post by lefteriskavadas » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi,

Have you changed the site URLs or it's a pure redesign? If URLs have changed you have to set redirects for the old URLs to the new.

Regards
Joomla Extensions https://www.firecoders.com/

tchao57
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tchao57 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi lefteriskavadas,

Thanks for your reply.

No, I did not change the URLs.
In fact, I deleted the old site in FTP and recreated a new one with the same URLs, page titles, meta, etc.
Currently there are plenty of URLs in the Google index that are no longer used.

If we look at this URL for example: https://www.lovaphoto.fr/galeries-clien ... 26-animaux
(found with site:www.lovaphoto.fr)

It refers to a page of the site that was not created. The menu "galleries-clients" does not exist on the site in the backend and yet there is a page that opens.

I think Google penalizes this but I do not know how to delete this link that does not exist. It certainly existed in the old site.

lefteriskavadas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by lefteriskavadas » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:56 pm

I can't tell the exact case, but when you are migrating a website you have to keep your current URLs and content.

If for some reason the URLs have changed you have to set redirects.

Pages that do not exist on your site should return a 404 not found, not an empty page. If those pages existed in the previous versions of your site you need to migrate them to the new site.

Regards
Joomla Extensions https://www.firecoders.com/

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”