Massive Speed Difference in Mobile Issue

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
dpitfield
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Massive Speed Difference in Mobile Issue

Post by dpitfield » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 pm

So it looks like I'm being severely penalized from Google for my page speed. I've lost up to 60% traffic site the mobile index first went live on my site. My site has plummeted visits for some reason and mobile speed is being suggested as the culprit.

Doing research on Pagespeed through Googles tools it looks like my Desktop score is 84 and the mobile score is 20 (in the red). My template is just doing a basic mobile representation.

A developer has told me that the mobile Joomla home page is still attempting to load in the background all that is being displayed on the desktop version (even hidden modules, etc!)

The mobile version only has a slide show and images on it.
How would I resolve this and make as fast as the desktop version?
Is there a way to display a mobile version of the page without all the 'hidden' desktop details/images, being loaded also?

site:
https://www.professionalsoccercoaching.com

Pagespeed results
https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... tab=mobile

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions here. Or even references to a qualified developer who could help.

Darren

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Massive Speed Difference in Mobile Issue

Post by CyrusXxX » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Hello dpitfield, it was even worse when I opened your google page speed I got 16. :(

Before I answer on your specific questions you asked, let me say that FIRST thing you you need to do is make common speed optimizations available on your website.
Such as:
reduce size of images (compress them a little bit)
set .htaccess rules for content expiring and compress static resources
activate cache options in Joomla
adjust your JCH Optimize plugin as it is not compressing properly now, looking at your source files
eliminate all unnecessary content from your Joomla such as uninstall unused modules, plugins etc. not just disabling them
Check your components and plugins and if any of them are loading double scripts like bootstrap or font awesome centralize them and make it possible to load only what is needed.
than try to select good and quality extensions optimized for speed.
For example you use Improved ajax login for registration and login module on your website and I am not saying it is bad but you could take different approach for example on my website I use bootstrap native popup and Joomla module and have the same nice looking feel to it, but with one difference I do not have additional component on my website which needs to load
Also looking on your source code, you have quite a number of js scripts loaded, try to reduce them or delay their loading until page is loaded (set up jch optimize properly as)

The list can go on quite a lot and there are just suggestions, but what I was trying to say your website needs to be organized and optimized a little bit internally if you want your speed to be on expected levels.

Now let me answer on your specific questions:
A developer has told me that the mobile Joomla home page is still attempting to load in the background all that is being displayed on the desktop version (even hidden modules, etc!)
Same as with 80% of templates including mine. If you have hidden modules loaded on your site when they should not be there talk with developer of your template and ask him to provide you with solutions.
The mobile version only has a slide show and images on it.

For this you need to adjust your template and set it to display content you want.
Is there a way to display a mobile version of the page without all the 'hidden' desktop details/images, being loaded also?
Yes there is by using some of the amp extensions or mobile templates on your website available on JED.

Hope this helps. ;)
Joomla Serbian Latin Coordinator
https://volunteers.joomla.org/joomlers/ ... oran-nesic

Power is knowledge and knowledge is power.
https://regenesiscomputers.com

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”