Joomla IFrames and SEO

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joomla IFrames and SEO

Post by Forsh » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:03 am

If you use a Joomla IFrame does Googlebot see that as a normal page on the website, embedded content on that page, or linked content on that page?

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Joomla IFrames and SEO

Post by waarnemer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:26 pm

As far as I was told, the content of an iframe is not considered part of your site but something of another site.
The contents of the iframe will be indexed as content of that framed url/site. Not as content of your site.

But..... there is some relation, see: https://www.seroundtable.com/google-ifr ... 24098.html
You can indeed see that happening with [youtube] video embeddings... they tend to get indexed with your pages too. But then again.. [youtube] is Google, so they get to decide ;)

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:29 am

You can also have menu items of type "wrapper" which are essentially iframes, how do search engines deal with that - though I don't know why you'd use a wrapper item for internal site content, when typically, as already mentioned, it would be more used to embed some third-party site into the joomla site e.g. a wikipedia page, a wordpress blog etc.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Forsh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:59 am

Because I seem to be maxing out my resources all the time. I use Joomla and have the GoGeek plan with Siteground and they are excellent in providing me information and troubleshooting this with me. For the longer-term I was going to strip down my main install and install components elsewhere and just load them in an iframe so that those don't use my server resources. I think I know which components are giving me a big CPU resource hit. I use Foobla's OBGrabber and OBRSS and when I disable those a large amount of the CPU resource usage drops. However, those components are central to my setup. Right now I am going to split my content sections on subdomains as a temp fix since they will also drop my CPU cycles having their own databases.

I was even thinking of getting individual scripts (standalone) and loading those in iframes as well. So, that was where my question was digging into. I'm not getting the feeling that I shouldn't use it because I might make more work and complicates doing it.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:12 pm

AMurray wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:29 am
You can also have menu items of type "wrapper" which are essentially iframes
These are plain iframes and are considered external pages

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Forsh wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:59 am
For the longer-term I was going to strip down my main install and install components elsewhere and just load them in an iframe so that those don't use my server resources.
That is a full misunderstanding. As you know we have discussed your site also in another thread and forget it. The page still needs to be loaded and requires the same resources as you have now. Probably even worse since your bandwidth will increase and pulling data from external sources always slows down a site. FORGET IT!!

Also loading anything in an iframe is deadly for a site and you should if possible avoid iframes like the plague. You open your site for all dirt that is loaded from an ecternal site. Iframes are the most thought after vulnerabilities by hackers. As soon as you're displaying content from another domain, you're basically trusting that domain not to serve-up malware. Can you?

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Forsh » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:52 am

leolam wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:18 pm
Forsh wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:59 am
For the longer-term I was going to strip down my main install and install components elsewhere and just load them in an iframe so that those don't use my server resources.
That is a full misunderstanding. As you know we have discussed your site also in another thread and forget it. The page still needs to be loaded and requires the same resources as you have now. Probably even worse since your bandwidth will increase and pulling data from external sources always slows down a site. FORGET IT!!

Also loading anything in an iframe is deadly for a site and you should if possible avoid iframes like the plague. You open your site for all dirt that is loaded from an ecternal site. Iframes are the most thought after vulnerabilities by hackers. As soon as you're displaying content from another domain, you're basically trusting that domain not to serve-up malware. Can you?

Leo 8)
You bring up some good points....and no I don't think I can trust keeping track of everything I might load into an iframe! I'm going to optimize what I have now and learn a bit more about that instead of getting too creative with my ideas for quick fixes. I'm attaching why my resources stand at after I have cleaned lots of stuff out of the database and by disabling the OBGrabber extension and only enabling when I execute it manually. It has a built-in CRON that runs from the browser or executes by CRON job setup through CPanel. These resources you see are my Joomla running right now after I manually ran the OBGrabber extension about 2-hours ago.

It's really an awesome Joomla extension combined with the OBRss, maybe it's not efficient or something or maybe I'm not using it the right way but I'm sure I am. It has to be something with that CRON execution...those resources you see (24 hours CPU) will hit 20,000 to 30,000. I might have to just stop using it I guess or look for an alternative....it's so perfect for what I need though.

For anyone that doesn't host with Siteground...they are pretty awesome. Look at all of those resources waiting for me to use them.

Thanks for the feedback on things, much appreciated.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”