Redirect 301 issue Topic is solved

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ldor
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Redirect 301 issue

Post by ldor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi,

I have a bi-lingual site. There is a module that came with the template that shows some news and "Read more" links. When clicking on the link, it shows the article content right on the home page and the URL looks like, e.g. /75-home/category-alias/695-article-alias.html . This URL is not SE friendly, besides showing the article content on the Home Page does not look nice. To solve this, I used 301 Redirect in .htaccess:
Redirect 301 /75-home/category-alias/695-article-alias.html /my_url.html

With the primary language this works fine. But with the secondary language (English) this does not work. I tried addin /en/ to the URLs, like
Redirect 301 /en/75-home/category-alias/695-article-alias.html /en/my_url.html
This does not work.

Does anybody have an idea how to do this correctly?

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Redirect 301 issue

Post by gws » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:11 pm

ldor
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Redirect 301 issue

Post by ldor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:26 pm

gws wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:11 pm
see https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:New_Routing_System
Thank you but the new routing system cannot solve my issue for several reasons:
1. It only improves the URLs but the linked article will still be shown on the home page. But I want it to open in an new page which displays only this article, nothing else
2. Those improved URLs are still not perfect because they include category alias which I do not need. To solve this, I use hidden menus where I arrange the URLs the way I like.

So it looks like the only solution for me is 301 redirect. But I can't understand why it does not work for the secondary language (i.e. for the URLs that have /en/ at the end)

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”