Nowhere on Google Search

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
WeDontByte
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Nowhere on Google Search

Post by WeDontByte » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:38 pm

The web site I manage for a photographic club is absolutely nowhere on Google Search, but appears almost top on other engines such as Bing, etc.
Investigation points to Google accusing me of "cloaking"! What I'm doing is to try and make my life easy when posting members work onto the web site, so that what people browsing the web site see are the members pictures as thumbnails on the page which when clicked produce a screen size slide show. What Google's web crawler sees is (for example):

{ariphotogallery activeType="imglist" type="gallery" dir="images/y2018-winners/comp04/cp" descrFile="cp-titles.csv" opt_galleryTitle="Colour Prints"}{/ariphotogallery}

because of which Google ignores us, and club members are not happy!

If anybody has had this problem and managed to solve it, I would be grateful for any suggestions - other than rewriting the web site.

Many thanks.

harperlala
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Nowhere on Google Search

Post by harperlala » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 am

- add google analytics on site or not?
- then use google webmaster tool to submit xml file and check error

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:43 am

Mod. Note: Relocated the topic to the SEO forum.

WeDontByte
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WeDontByte » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm

Very much so! I have Google Analytics installed and get statistics from it, both e-mail monthly and via the App on my Smartphone!
Trying to force Google to inspect my web site, I'm currently looking at Google Search Console, having verified ownership of the URL, and am waiting for it to "index" the home page - said I was in a queue for inspection, but I've no idea how long this may take or when I'll know its finished.
In the past (I've been here before), I have one "Manual Actions - Issue detected", namely:
Description: Pages on this site appear to use aggressive spam techniques such as automatically generated gibberish, cloaking, scraping content from other websites and/or repeated or egregious violations of Google’s Webmaster Guidelines. Learn more
Affects: Affects all pages

This must refer to my 'heavy' use of Joomla Modules and Plug-ins - why re-invent the wheel? And I'm certainly not going to rewrite the web site!!
I also have great difficulty in navigating round Google's web site and relocating something I found once before!
Thanks.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:20 pm

Do you have a link to the site?

I don't understand why Google sees the plugin code and not the images. Plugins are executed by php on the server before the page is sent to the browser. This one may be js driven. Have you allowed js for Google in robots.txt? There is a "See site as Google" in the Google Webmaster Console.

I have always used Phoca Gallery that does not have this issue.

WallyD
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by WallyD » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:27 pm

You should create a sitemap and it should be updated automatically + google ping.
Webmaster tools is very useful to identify a penalty, robots.txt misconfiguration or page errors.

ryansenn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ryansenn » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:22 am

I agree with Per Yngve Berg, google should never see this output if the code is meant to be executed server side. If it's client side with javascript, check the console for errors (missing js file, js error etc.)

ryansenn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ryansenn » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:23 am

You can also use this tool, it will notify you of possible client side errors: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”