Meta title and description not showing for articles shared to Facebook Topic is solved

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
xcite
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Meta title and description not showing for articles shared to Facebook

Post by xcite » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi there,

When we share menu items or articles on facebook or other social media channels, our meta title and descriptions added to each of the items are not sharing on facebook, when they should.

I have definitely added text into each of these fields in the meta backend, but not showing?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Meta title and description not showing for articles shared to Facebook

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 pm

xcite
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by xcite » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Thanks for this, really appreciate the help. It doesn't seem to help me with a particular page though, where I have info in the Meta Description but this doesn't pull through to Facebook. Should this plugin do that do you think, or does it look somewhere else for the meta info? Thanks again Per!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 pm

As a general guide to sharing website content with Facebook, see https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sh ... ebmasters/

You may also find this general guide to sharing website content with social media platforms here: https://css-tricks.com/essential-meta-t ... ial-media/

The general principles in sharing website content is to use what we call "Open Graph meta data". There are several extensions in the Joomla Extensions Directory that address Open Graph [OG] meta data for Joomla. The link that @Per mentions is just one of those extensions. There are lots of extensions that do these things.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

xcite
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by xcite » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:58 am

Thank you very much for the responses, kind of you.

RahulSharmaUK
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RahulSharmaUK » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:13 am

I think need to update OG tags of your website. The social media not fetching your page content properly.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”