Rename the url of the home page

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Graemezee
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Rename the url of the home page

Post by Graemezee » Thu May 06, 2021 10:08 pm

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but an SEO company has asked me to rename the URL of the home page www.website.com/ to www.website.com/gaming-bus.html.

I am unsure if this is possible, and if it is how I would go about it, without creating issues for the site.

Appreciate any insights

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Rename the url of the home page

Post by sozzled » Thu May 06, 2021 11:33 pm

"... an SEO company has asked you to rename the URL of your website home page ..." ???

Who asked this "SEO company" for their opinion? How do they benefit from their advice? Did you pay them for this? Go back to the SEO company and ask them, "How will this help me?" That's the first thing I would be doing.

Yes, it's possible to change the home page (or default menu item) if that's what you really want to do. But, then again, any "SEO company" who knows anything about Joomla! would know the answer to that question. If you paid for their advice, ask them how to do it. If they don't know the answer then does it really matter?

When you say "[changing the URL of the website home page may] create issues for the site", what do you mean? What "issues" are you talking about? Again, we don't know what you know. We don't know what this SEO company knows and, to be blunt, it's an unfortunate truth that many SEO experts probably don't know much more about SEO than you do. ;)

Graemezee
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Graemezee » Mon May 10, 2021 10:37 am

I Have Spoken to the SEO Company they are saying Google is counting the page twice www.domain.com/ and www.domain.com/homepage.html. So changing the name is pointless as it achieves nothing in this context they are looking to avoid this duplication So is there any way to achieve this? Or negate this duplication.

Communication is not perfect as my client is Hungarian his SEO company is Hungarian I am just trying to help my client their English is very good but nuances in meaning can create confusion.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Mon May 10, 2021 11:17 am

Google is smart enough to know that this is the same page and ignores the duplication.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon May 10, 2021 7:17 pm

That is done in search.google.com (formally webmaster tools) is it not?
Why bother buying snake oil?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

orion90
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by orion90 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:05 am

lol, you cannot fool Google like that, it will know that website.com and website.com/homepage are the same

charleshardiman
I've been banned!

Post by charleshardiman » Wed May 19, 2021 7:13 am

Changing URL won't do anything. Moving one URL to another is not that difficult, it is easy but it is of no use. Because Google is very smart as if the content on both the pages are the same, Google will not cache the new page also, due to content duplication.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”