SEO issues with joomla site Topic is solved

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
echopulse
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

SEO issues with joomla site

Post by echopulse » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:32 pm

I have run a SEO checker on my new site, and have run into several issues.

It says no h1 tags are found. From what I've read, joomla is supposed to use h1 or h2 tags for menu items. but my site isn't. The problem is, I don't use a text heading on my page, I use a graphical one. And I use h4 for subheadings because h2 is too large. But I read that google uses h2 tags for keyword ranking.

if you see my page www.abilenetechguy.com, you will see what I mean.

Also, it says the noscript tag contains HTML elements. I don't know where to go to fix that.

I have description duplicates on 6 pages. I am assuming that refers to the meta site description. If so, how do I change the description for each page.

Canonical tag is missing. Why would my site need this tag? My links are using the preferred URL's, and I have URL rewrirting turned on. Where would I put this missing tag.

Edit: I discovered how to change h2 size, so I changed h2 to the size I want, and my h4 headers have been replaced.

Now I need to know where to insert h1 tags for each page, without that header showing up on the page.

webiedesign
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: SEO issues with joomla site

Post by webiedesign » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:35 pm

"It says no h1 tags are found." "Now I need to know where to insert h1 tags for each page, without that header showing up on the page."- Because you don't have any headings on some pages, you might want to consider them. The whole H1/H2 heading issue has been around for a long time. I am able to manage it in the template I use, however, I have also used this plugin in the past - https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... 1-heading/ I don't believe there is a way to have them without them showing on the page.

"the noscript tag contains HTML elements" it looks like the code for the facebook pixel is html and is in a <noscript> tag so you may want to explore different ways to insert that.

"I have description duplicates on 6 pages." The meta information is within the Publishing tab of every article and the Metadata tab of every menu item

"Canonical tag is missing." Joomla generates multiple instances of some content. I am not aware of any way to fix this within the core installation. There are several extensions that can manage this. I use sh404sef, but that may be more than what you need.

echopulse
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by echopulse » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:28 pm

Thanks,

I found the meta tags for each page, and modified it for each page.
Removed the facebook pixel for now because I quit facebook ads for the time being.

Thanks.

echopulse
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by echopulse » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:37 pm

Even with the FB pixel removed, I still get the noscript error.
Installed OSmap for the sitemap issue. I can see my map at atg.com/sitemap but the seo scanner doesn't see it.

I used to use atg.com/index.php/link as my links. Now I use atg.com/link. They both show up in search engines. Do I need to redirect one to the other?

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”