Site does not get crawled by bing but google ist fine Topic is solved

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
solarisuser
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Site does not get crawled by bing but google ist fine

Post by solarisuser » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:03 pm

Hi all,
my site (using most recent joomla-4 version) does not get crawled by bing, despite of the fact that I requested crawling using bing-webmaster-tools several times already.

This site got crawled fine by google and the ranking meets expectations.

I've submitted sitemap.xml to bing serveral times already and it reported success for all 28 pages.

I've tested the URLs using bing-webmaster-tools and I see a difference between the options of
- submission of an URL-list of all 28 pages reports no error or warnings
- submission of the top-website URL (with subject to crawl the whole site) reports 24 warnings.
By checkiging the warnings I see strange URLs like https://DOMAIN/.../valtra-a-serie?view=article&id=4
instead of https://DOMAIN/.../valtra-a-serie as correctly referenced in sitemap.xml
Attempt to open the mentioned strange URL does not show the expected page ..../valtra-a-serie ,
but shows a random other page (e.g. impressum)

I'm not sure whether this strange behaviour represents the reason for the problem with the bing crawler, but I cannot see any other possible reason for.
I've opened already a ticket at bing-support, but they did not find a problem up to now.

Did I miss anything here ?
Thank you in advance, Fred

solarisuser
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Site does not get crawled by bing but google ist fine

Post by solarisuser » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:20 am

thank you for your reply.
I forgot to mention that I've used the appropriate tools to request crawling of the site.
- www.bing.com/webmasters/
- www.google.com/webmasters/
As mentioned already, crawling request worked fine for www.google.com/webmasters/ , but does not work for www.bing.com/webmasters/
I am mastering different domains, but I see this problem only on one particular domain.
Thx in advance, Fred

solarisuser
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by solarisuser » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:30 pm

I found the problem that caused the strange "?view=article&id=[4|5]" at the end of the URLs of this domain.
It's been caused by a certain module in Joomla.
I've resubmitted the URLs and sitemap.xml to bing and hope it get crawled now by the search machine.
Thanks and regards, Fred

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:21 pm

are you using Search Engine Friendly URLS in Joomla - turn those on (remember to rename the htaccess.txt to .htaccess).

SEF urls will remove the issue with "?view=article&id=[4|5]" (or at least, I though that was the idea).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

solarisuser
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by solarisuser » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:52 am

Thanks for the hint.
Yes, I had Search Engine Friendly URLS already on in Joomla. I also tried several different settings with no success.
The issue were caused eventually by a custom site module I used to show the URLs for impressum (article id=4) nd data-protection (article id=5) on the bottom of every page of my domain.
This caused bing crawler (and bing webmaster URL check tool) to add this strange "?view=article&id=[4|5]" to the end every URL.
Once I disabled this custom site model, the issue was gone. I've created a new menu item for these info instead.
I got feedback from bing support that it may take several weeks for bing to crawl my domain again.
So, I'll wait for some more weeks and cross fingers meanwhile.
Thanks again, Fred

intutivemind
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by intutivemind » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:42 am

You will need to first confirm, whether your website is indexable in Bing or not. If bing has set your website as Non-indexed, then it would be hard to index it even with Webmaster/tools.

solarisuser
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by solarisuser » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:02 am

Thanks for the hint.
How can I confirm, whether my domain is indexable in Bing ?
4 days ago, I did a site scan of my domain on Bing webmaster page and got zero Errors and zero Warnings
Status Completed
Total pages scanned 46
Errors 0
Warnings 0

Is there any item on Bing webmaster page to see, whether the domain is indexable ?
TIA, Fred

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”