How to export a template to install on another site?

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
lip420
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

How to export a template to install on another site?

Postby lip420 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:00 pm

So I have been working on a template and would like to download it and then upload and install it on another site. It seems like I could just go to templates/mytemplate compress it and download, but for some reason I don't think that is it.

Anything else?
Want a fast template? Get 100% on Pagespeed out of the box. Fast & minimalistic: http://www.inghh.com/jspeed/

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How to export a template to install on another site?

Postby imanickam » Wed May 23, 2018 7:09 am

Copy the directory mytemplate (along with sub-directories) from the source site to the destination site's directory templates. After this, the destination site should have your template files in the directory \templates\mytemplate.

After this go to the screen "Extensions: Discover" (Extensions => Manage -> Discover) and click on the button "Discover". This should install the template.

Note:
- Try this in a test environment before trying in a production environment
- If there are language files (in the directory \language\en-GB) then they may have to be copied as well

- If the template uses a framework then that framework has to be installed for the template to work properly
- Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
http://www.eegan.org - helping the poor and underprivileged
educate. empower. enrich.
Support the poor and underprivileged

alexkevin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby alexkevin » Wed May 23, 2018 10:15 am

All template files are in one directory in /templates/<yourtemplate>. Copy <yourtemplate> to another installation, and it's done. If you have access to the Joomla! backend, you can try installing extXplorer to download those files. This is how you export files!

lip420
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby lip420 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks. I had some empty folders in my template. After adding index.html I was able to download it and then install it on another site.
Want a fast template? Get 100% on Pagespeed out of the box. Fast & minimalistic: http://www.inghh.com/jspeed/

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”