Where is my missing module?

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
maestroc
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Where is my missing module?

Post by maestroc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:39 pm

I am working on an old site that has over the years been upgraded to 3x but the extensions were not kept up to date. Everything is now up to date but something has changed with my home page layout.

Site in question is theflowmagazine.com
If you view it you will see the blank left column.

Short Explanation:

None of the main content area is being displayed on the home page. On the other pages content will show in that area just fine. The content on the home page is made up of an article named Home that inside it makes calls to {loadposition slider} and some {mijoshop} includes. If I remove all of the text from the home page article and replace it with the word TEST even that will not show on the home page. If I try to put anything in that column's module position it will not show up on the home page at all.

My assumptions:

Somehow the homepage index.php got corrupted. But if this was the case when I switch to a different template the content area should display normally (switched to Beez) but it doesn't.

or

Somehow one of the updates I made to the site is overriding the CSS and possible doing a display:none on the content in that column. (but again if that was the case switching to a different template should have fixed it.

What I have tried:
1) Removed all content from the home page article and replaced with plain text of TEST- no success
2) Created a new article and set it as the homepage- no success
3) Upgraded all extensions on the site to current version
4) Switched the home page to use a different default template (tried Beez)- none of the main content was displayed there either.

Is there something else I might be missing here?

annahersh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Where is my missing module?

Post by annahersh » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 pm

It seems the index.php may have been affected and column_01 removed. Or there is a conditional statement which shows the column only when modules are assigned.

Check the index file to confirm that the element with class column_01 exists.
Check the module manager to see if modules are assigned to the column.
columns.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maestroc
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by maestroc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 am

annahersh wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 pm
It seems the index.php may have been affected and column_01 removed. Or there is a conditional statement which shows the column only when modules are assigned.

Check the index file to confirm that the element with class column_01 exists.
Check the module manager to see if modules are assigned to the column.

columns.jpg
This is what the actual template file says in that area of the page. Note that it is the column_02 area, not 01 (there is no column_01 in the template for some reason).

Code: Select all

<div class="breadcrumb" >
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="breadcrumb" style="xhtml" />
    </div>
    <div class="sub_container">    
    <div class="column_02">
    <div class="whats_new" >
    <div class="roundcont01">
    <div class="bl01"><div class="br01"><div class="tl01"><div class="tr01">  
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="whats_new" style="xhtml" />
    </div></div></div></div>
    <div class="clear">&nbsp;</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <jdoc:include type="message" />
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="column_02" style="xhtml" />
    <jdoc:include type="component" />
    </div>

I have moved modules into column_02 but they do not show up. Also tried putting them in other positions around the page and they do display in those other positions, just not in column_02.

annahersh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by annahersh » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:42 am

If the Joomla core protostar template is installed, assign it to a test menu item and then assign modules to position-8 (left col), position-3 (center top), position-7 (right col). Go to the menu item you created to see if the modules display.

You may better off using protostar and re-style it to get the current appearance.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”