Remove Numbered Bullets from Newsfeeds Topic is solved

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
dalbring
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Remove Numbered Bullets from Newsfeeds

Post by dalbring » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:11 pm

Anyone know how I can removed the number bullets (e.g. 1., 2., 3., 3tc.) from the rss feeds that show up in my frontend? I realize I can limit the number of feeds that show, but even taking it down to one still shows the number 1. prior to the newsfeed. Thanks.
Last edited by toivo on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Extensions

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Remove Numbered Bullets from Newsfeeds

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_list-style-type.asp

That is because it is an ordered list (ol) element. Set the type in css.

dalbring
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dalbring » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 pm

I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for the related css in my template. It's a custom one put out by J51.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:02 pm

dalbring wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:11 pm
Anyone know how I can removed the number bullets (e.g. 1., 2., 3., 3tc.) from the rss feeds that show up in my frontend?
@Per is right; if there are numbers in front of things on your frontend then they're probably appearing because the "things" are list items in an ordered list.

If you don't know what creates these lists then you could use the inspector tools built into your web browser to identify the HTML element and then you could write a CSS rule to remove the numbers/bullets from the list items.

If you don't know how to use a web browser's inspector tools, then you will have to provide us with the URL of the page where you have this problem and we may be able to suggest a solution. I don't know much about J51 templates; I haven't used them in the last five years. Most of the older free templates are primitive or unmaintained; in other words, if you didn't pay for it then you are using it at your own risk.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

dalbring
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dalbring » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:51 am

Thanks for the advice. I used the debug feature of Firefox, tracked down the relevant css file and script, then was able to add a custom script to the typo.css:

Code: Select all

body ol {

list-style: decimal inside none;
        list-style-position: inside;
        list-style-image: none;
        list-style-type: none;
}

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:46 pm

If "typo.css" is associated with the news feed plugin, I think that any update to the plugin will wipe out those customisations. Also if you didn't want the numbering, why not do it as <ul> (Unordered list)?

The CSS should go in "user.css" (so that any core update doesn't overwrite your changes).
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

dalbring
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dalbring » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks for the input, A Murray. What I should have said was the custom script went into the settings of the J51 Madison template in administrator site. It will take care of loading the custom script even on an upgrade. I'll certainly make note of it and incorporate your suggestion should it not work.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”