Can't install templates anymore

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
vlokhoven88
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Can't install templates anymore

Post by vlokhoven88 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:44 pm

I installed several different templates on my first domain successfully. After a couple of weeks, I decided none of them was suffiently beautiful for my website and had all the capabilities I needed.

So, I finally found one that did and I tried to install the template again (Please note: I have no ownwebsite build yet at the moment. So I want to use the template as a full website, that I will then start to edit, instead of copying only the styling from the template to an existing site).

This time however, when installing via a quickstart package (Using either Akeeba or Extracting to PHP directly), instead of reaching the steps where you start installation via the Akeeba environment (Credentials, Database configuration etc) I now get this screen:

Right after extraction via Akeeba or when extracted the template files on the server via FTP:

If I remove the install folder, the basic default template of Joomla shows, not the template of choice.

By now, I have tried with many different templates, including ones that did work earlier and they all don't work anymore. While I followed the exact same process as with the first 4-5 templates that installed succesfully. It seems it doesn't recognize the template at all, as it's also not in the admin backend of the website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Can't install templates anymore

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Templates are installed as an extension.

If you have uploaded the template folder, you can install it with Extensions->Manage->Discover

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:04 pm

I expect you see the screen (as shown in first screenshot), because looks like to me, you have tried to copy in the "quickstart" package files over the top of your exisrting site, and it's trying to reinstall it but can't due to detecting the existing installation (due to the presence of the configuration.php file). If you remove that file, it will start the installation over again, and I assume this time, will install Joomla and your template.

However, quick-starts are not for installing into an existing site. (you need the "template only" package for that). Quick-start packages include Joomla typically (not necessarily the latest version). The idea behind that is you get a copy of the vendor's demo site with demo data, the plugins and template they showcase on their own site.

Therefore, you need to install the package as a clean install - in an empty folder, on a new database.

I don't know what you mean when you refer to "Akeeba Environment"...... the restoration utility Akeeba Kickstart is for restoring a site you have backed up previously.....or do you mean, the template you're trying to install came as a JPA file? Akeeba is not part of any Joomla installation for a new, clean install.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:22 pm

The content is your site not the Template. Quistart packages often have problems updating.

You would be better off installing the Joomla full package and learning how to position the modules.

Looking for a Template before you have built your site is much like trying to paint a building you have built it.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

Ape21
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Ape21 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:38 am

Is your problem solved @vlokhoven88?

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”