Dropdown Menu parent text is on top of other text Topic is solved

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Dropdown Menu parent text is on top of other text

Post by dave2479 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:19 am

This is a silly one that I should have figured out before it is a live site but was thinking it would be straight forward to do.

I have a sidebar menu that I have articles on but if I put the articles into Parents so the top menu drops down the text goes over the article below it.

I'm using joomla 3x and have also not created a template for the site which I also need to do so I can update it without losing all of my code I have changed.

I also think it might also be better to widen the sidebar too somehow in the css files.

Any advice please to try to do all of this I'm totally out of practice! And will be hard being a live site to do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Dropdown Menu parent text is on top of other text

Post by andypooz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:07 pm

It going to be a css tweak that's required, but unless we can see the page ourselves, no one will be able to advise. If the site is live, as you seem to suggest, then provide a link and we can use the developer tools to let you know what css changes are required.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:29 pm

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by andypooz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:09 pm

ok, well, I've figured out something to prevent the overlapping text looking so bad, but the problem is that the sub-menu is there all the time- it's just hidden until you mouse over it.
Add a new style to the stylesheet for your template (custom.css if you have one) and this is what you want:
.g-dropdown-column
{
background: #eee;
border: 1px solid grey;
}

This will at least hide the text of the menu item under it by giving the sub-menu item a border and background color. It's not very pretty, and you can tweak the color of the border and background color, border radius and spacing as you see fit (apply all to .g-dropdown-column or its children)

You don't usually have vertical menus with pop-up sub-menus unless you have fancy styling for the pop-up elements or have the pop-ups being generated on the fly and allowing the DOM to update, so its not a great answer, but it's a start.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Try this idea (instead of the one suggested by @andypooz): add to your custom CSS file (in Gantry 5) the following lines:

Code: Select all

aside ul.g-dropdown {
  background-color: rgba(49, 128, 194,0.2);
  margin: -100px 0 0 110px;
}
aside span.g-menu-parent-indicator:after {
  content: '\f054' !important;
}
This will give you a nice dropdown (to the right of the vertical menu items) when there are child menus. 8)

The website looks OK to me (although I dislike the "accept cookies" overlay that hides the bottom content ... until you dismiss the overlay (but that's just me). :)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:13 pm

Thank Sozzled will have a go this week and hopefully, it will work looks good me seeing the !Important! :-) with it all and thank you for saying about the web site id also agree it gets in the way too so any tips I will try to fix that too if I ever get a chance too. really busy at mo as I need to update a database to keep alive too lol :-) or 'I'm dead by November! :-) Thanks for the help!! Is it possible to do a custom CSS now as I never have done one before and now realize I need too so I'm able to update Joomla without losing all my CSS code? not a thing I really want to do is update it but I know at some points I'm going to have too.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:08 pm

Yes, it's possible to "do a custom CSS" now; Gantry has this facility. You need to know where your custom CSS file is stored within the Gantry 5 framework (it's probably called something like ../templates/g5_hydrogen/scss/custom.scss), edit the file and re-compile the CSS. It's not difficult if you know your way around the template backend.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:31 pm

sozzled wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:08 pm
Yes, it's possible to "do a custom CSS" now; Gantry has this facility. You need to know where your custom CSS file is stored within the Gantry 5 framework (it's probably called something like ../templates/g5_hydrogen/scss/custom.scss), edit the file and re-compile the CSS. It's not difficult if you know your way around the template backend.
If I have multiple templates for the menus like I have! Do I need to do each one or just do one custom.css for them all? And do I also need to do joomla custom file as well as Gantry Custom file? Thanks

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Did you make the one change as I recommended? Yes or no?

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:31 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:37 pm
Not yet just backing up to safe and figuring other things just getting things into positions! so I can attempt at doing it all!
I not done a custom file yet so working out to do that too!

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:09 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:37 pm
I have put your code into a custom.scss file and see no changes at all! not sure why?. Cleared the cache too!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Did you recompile the CSS?

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:55 pm

:-) ask me another one :-) how do I do that? I just changed the code saved it and uploaded it as a file renamed the old with a bk

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

How to recompile the CSS for Gantry 5

Post by sozzled » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:15 pm

1. Go to the backend: Extensions » Templates » Styles

2. Find the default template (it will be marked with a gold star in the column Default); the template could be called anything but it probably has "Hydrogen" as part of the template name.

3. You should see a clicklable item labelled Recompile CSS (at the top right of the page); click it.

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How to recompile the CSS for Gantry 5

Post by dave2479 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:17 pm

sozzled wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:15 pm
1. Go to the backend: Extensions » Templates » Styles

2. Find the default template (it will be marked with a gold star in the column Default); the template could be called anything but it probably has "Hydrogen" as part of the template name.

3. You should see a clickable item labelled Recompile CSS (at the top right of the page); click it.
Will I need to do it to my other templates? I have templates for different menu headings in there!
Not meaning for the recompile but for the CSS code to change them all.

I have done as you have said and still no change to the dropdown!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:41 am

If you use that vertical menu (with the same menu items, laid out in the same way as on the page that I examined), then yes: you will need to modify each of your other templates' custom CSS (or SCSS) files and recompile them. I don't know how many templates you're using (or the names of them) or which ones are assigned to which main menu items.

If you are using any kind of server-side caching (while you are developing your website) then you should disable server-side caching and clear the cache; there are options in the backend to do those things.

If you are still struggling to make headway with this one page, I could give you half an hour of my time to teleconference via Skype (if you contact me privately) at no cost to you ... just to get you started.

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:34 pm

sozzled wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:41 am
If you use that vertical menu (with the same menu items, laid out in the same way as on the page that I examined), then yes: you will need to modify each of your other templates' custom CSS (or SCSS) files and recompile them. I don't know how many templates you're using (or the names of them) or which ones are assigned to which main menu items.

If you are using any kind of server-side caching (while you are developing your website) then you should disable server-side caching and clear the cache; there are options in the backend to do those things.

If you are still struggling to make headway with this one page, I could give you half an hour of my time to teleconference via Skype (if you contact me privately) at no cost to you ... just to get you started.
Thank you for your kind help on helping with Skype, I'm one of these people who do not use Skype I did many years ago I will try to get it set up again so we can chat and test my mic too! I get errors with this setup! Maybe try my chat when the cookie vanishes :-) be easy for me then! just give me a email through it and I will turn it on!

I have somehow got it to move positions only I think its because I need to recompile on the style I'm changing very frustrating would be once to recompile it all instead of me! :-)

so the trick your trick as done it and the menu is to the side but still looking very ugly! :-) But works thank you! How can I use the element key on a drop-down? It says to use CTRL+Shift+c but never seems to work for me

And the big hard question how do I be safe updating with all the core files I have changed :-) I need a way where I do not have to search through all that code again what I have changed I see videos showing to do a copy of my default Template will this so it? so after the update, I just switch back to the duplicate Template? Thank you again sozzled

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

"Changing core files"

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:40 pm

dave2479 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:34 pm
... the big hard question how do I be safe updating with all the core files I have changed :-) I need a way where I do not have to search through all that code again what I have changed I see videos showing to do a copy of my default Template will this so it? so after the update, I just switch back to the duplicate Template?
I have problems connecting the dots between making a few simple CSS changes—even with the Gantry 5 templating system that implements SCSS—and changing "core files" (whatever that means).

I have no idea what you mean by "all the core files" you have changed. I recommended fixing your dropdown menu problem by using the standard, safe, customisable feature Gantry 5. I have written thousands of words here (and elsewhere) on the broader subject of "What CSS file should I change …?" (do a search on Google ;)).

Yes, it took me a few days to get my head around Gantry 5 but this is not the Gantry 5 support forum.

The simple rule that I follow is ... never change (i.e. directly modify) core files whether we're discussing the J! CMS or any files shipped with a third-party extension that you installed unless it is clearly indicated—with a filename like "custom" (or instructions like "add your own customisations here"). Are we quite clear on that?

If you change any core files, that's your responsibility and you need to keep detailed records of every change you make so that, when you update that software, you know what you changes you need to re-apply. The alternative is to paint yourself into a corner and never update your software. If you don't maintain your software at current, in-general usage, then you're unlikely to find outside help.

I don't want to debate the issue here on the forum; that's for others to do. I've made my point, not just for the OP but for others who may stumble on this discussion, and that's all I'm saying. 8)

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

When a forum doesn't cut the mustard ...

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:00 pm

dave2479 wrote:
Thank you for your kind help on helping with Skype, I'm one of these people who do not use Skype I did many years ago I will try to get it set up again so we can chat and test my mic too! I get errors with this setup! Maybe try my chat when the cookie vanishes :-) be easy for me then! just give me a email through it and I will turn it on!
Sometimes turn-based Q&A doesn't work and that's when people need to reach out and obtain real-time assistance. Can you imagine trying to obtain medical help by sending an email to your doctor? Or obtain detailed financial planning assistance for your retirement by posting a question on a discussion forum? :laugh:

I'm one of those people who've used a dozen IM applications and I became sick and tired of learning the technical nuances and differences between them; I vowed I would never install another IM app! (I've broken that vow on several occasions but that's not the point.) Reluctantly (and with some protest), I engaged with Skype because I was involved with a team of software developers located in different countries and it seemed to be a reasonable compromise. In the several years I've had Skype (and come to terms with the way it works) it suits my purposes and I've been able to help dozens of other Joomlers with their questions and participate in J!-related events. It's not a question of whether one IM app is more suitable than another—they all work pretty much the same—it's a question of how we need to transact business.

I don't understand the reference to cookies "vanishing" or whatever your "chat" means.

Yes, there are alternatives: there's the telephone; there's satellite radio; there's international travel for those who can afford it, assuming you can work your way through the international quarantine restrictions that exist; there's waiting until the next J! round-robin event visits your locality. The need to obtain critical care outweighs the obstacles one may place in one's way to obtain that care. "Sorry, I can't visit the doctor in person but can the doctor diagnose and cure my terminal illness, via email, instead?"

I'll leave those matters in your capable hands. ;)
Last edited by sozzled on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

How can I use the element key on a drop-down? It says to use CTRL+SHIFT+C ...

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:05 pm

dave2479 wrote:
How can I use the element key on a drop-down? It says to use CTRL+Shift+c but never seems to work for me
I don't understand the question. Is this on-topic or off-topic?

CTRL+SHIFT+C is used in copy/paste withing MS Word. I don't understand the context of that keystroke combination in J! ???

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:15 pm

dave2479 wrote:
... your [recommendation has resolved the dropdown menu text occluding the parent menu] and the menu is to the side but still looking very ugly!
"Ugly" is subjective; somehow you've botched things and the submenu item titles are "blue [font-color] on blue [background-color]".

The following (not a complete solution with all the whizz-bangery that implements mouse-hover effects) CSS will address the "ugliness":

Code: Select all

aside ul.g-dropdown span.g-menu-item-title {
  color: #fff;
}

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:33 pm

yes, I understand this now but not 10 years ago until we got things into place! :pop Also, remember I have health issues! which cause me to do things I don't know what I'm doing at the time :eek: why new things are invented so please don't stop me doing as I please I was taught at university the internet is my oyster and it is! :pop :D The core Files I know now! not then! so I hope we are straight on that one! 8) :-[ ??? :-) Also Yes I have documented every change I have made, but this does not help me figure the best way to get back to it being able to update it and move forward in the internet technology! I was asking you as I see you are an expert Google can give you lots of different ways may be why I'm in trouble now :-[ :eek: :eek:

I'm by no means an expert at CSS and a joomla site. No point saying don't change it has this was not the case when I was first creating things even before a joomla site ever made existed! My google friends as I know them too well too! Was in Australia too :-) I'm just trying to get it back on track and in a good shape otherwise, you can have my site will make my life so much easier :-) Like I said I have lots on my mind at present and no time really for CSS again at moment but was trying to fit it in!

I have a long list of compiled CSS files which I think is the main file (core) but now with doing it a custom way I'm going to have to sneak my files out then changed files I have done many years ago and put them into the custom file you have said to me to do, thank you! Not a quick easy task but needs to be done!

Now back onto this messy dropdown :-)

I'm trying now to get the same colour scheme in it as the top then it might look neat! doing it your way! 8) Is there an easy way to do element on a dropdown that vanishes when you mouse over it?

p.s I also make a lot of spelling mistakes so maybe why you don't understand me at times! :D And with the edit remove from the site I cannot make changes to my spellings! :-[

thank you for your help! 8) :p

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:42 pm

your a genius Thank you so much! I was getting the colour your too quick fo me :D :geek: I need to keep off my :pop Thanks M8!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Quick summary:

1) Never change any core files!
2) Re-wire your mind to deal with problems (I've just finished reading an article about people who plan for emergencies—such as pack their car for a week in preparation to evacuate but, when the catastrophe (e.g. a bushfire) is on their doorstep, they spend their time browsing through photo albums choosing which ones to take with them)
3) Please avoid subjective terms like "messy" and "ugly" on a technical forum. Be specific.

To your main question: "Is there an easy way to do [an] element on a dropdown that [vanishes] when you mouse over it?" I don't understand the question, sorry. I'm not trying to be difficult but I just don't understand the question.

I visited your website. I find the menu item on the vertical menu; the one with the text that says "A. <words>". I move my mouse over that menu item. A submenu item appears. OK, so you can't read the submenu item text (because it's blue on blue), but the submenu item appears. In other words, the element does not appear until you move your mouse over it.

Dave, when you write on a technical forum, be careful: think about what you're trying to do, what are the issues. We don't all speak the same language; we don't all have the same experience; we don't know what other people know or don't know. Please avoid pronouns like "it tells me"; what is "it"? Please keep the questions relevant and on-topic. Where did "edit remove from my website" come from?

I'm not a genius. I just have 50 years' experience in IT, 25 years' experience in webcraft, a dozen good books and a bit of time on my hands. I note that you've resolved your problems and that's good. You can buy me a beer ...

... cheers. 8)
Last edited by sozzled on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:51 pm

this is what I mean by the ctrl command! to try to see the code when you hover over an area to see the code hope you understand me now? will attach a photo

now I need to have a nicer blue to use as a mouseover highlight :D

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:55 pm

Dave, we're so far off-topic that I don't know where we are. If you want lessons on how to use a web browser inspection tool then seek help from someone who may be able to give you those lessons.

If you want a "nicer blue" (whatever that means) then engage with someone in real time and share your understanding of what a "nicer blue" means and the method by which you achieve it.

Good luck. ;)

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:57 pm

I will buy you a beer! as I don't drink! if you can point me into good cycling routes in the forest around where you are and a free flight to you is that a deal? ??? :D I will do a nice video for you! lol Im lost too now!

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:22 pm

:D I just needed to have a bit of round I'm not sure accounting for even that code I put in the wrong place I find it hard to find teh code for dropdown as they vanish on the screen time I can use the elements so I can work out the code I need for it! I know what I what but I can't have it until I find an easier way on drop downs.

How did you find this code aside ul.g-dropdown from the element selector in Chrome?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:36 pm

"The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step."

Get Skype; then contact me via email or PM (you'll find a link under my user avatar). Takes a few minutes.

I could have used Chrome's inspector; I used a similar function in Firefox; there are similar built-in features with other browsers.

dave2479
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave2479 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:07 pm

sozzled wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:36 pm
"The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step."

Get Skype; then contact me via email or PM (you'll find a link under my user avatar). Takes a few minutes.

I could have used Chrome's inspector; I used a similar function in Firefox; there are similar built-in features with other browsers.
Yes its been a while since I used Firefox maybe I need to go back to it as I found it better before. Chrome seems very buggy at times and when I hover over it vanishes so I have no clue where to change the code!

I'm not trying to figure the submenu as that is too far away but not got a clue on any of this code as its different from what I'm finding by doing google searches. Sorry, I'm out of practice and for your help! CSS does not come in a day or even a year I been trying for over 10 years and forget ! or it changes or its code mixed into code :-) I never got taught half of what I learnt since leaving Uni! But if you have never come across teh code it's hard to find a needle in a haystack! like I'm now for sub-menu I have not even found aside ul.g-dropdown so I would not have a clue what to add onto this code for teh sub-menu as I cannot see it in Chrome developers tool. Even w3schools.com does not help me here or it's me missing it :-)

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”