Joomla Templates & ECommerce

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.
austtr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla Templates & ECommerce

Post by austtr » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:45 am

I’m taking the first baby steps on the way to implementing a modern ECommerce platform for a classifieds site. Despite lots of research I’m left with a few uncertainties that I’m hoping to get answered here in the forums. I’m not seeking product recommendations, just clarification on the different parts of the process and how the integration works. Are the following two scenarios correct?

OPTION 1

Start with a preferred Joomla template.. e.g. Protostar
Develop the overall site layout.. static/fluid, logos, banners, menus, footers etc
Install a preferred Joomla shopping cart extension (to process orders)
Install a preferred Joomla classifieds extension (to manage the presentation/layout of the classifieds)
Apply for an Online Payment Gateway account with one of the many providers (to process credit card transactions)

I’m assuming that there will be configuration items to integrate the shopping cart and the classified ads and similarly some form of integration between the shopping cart and the payment gateway.

OPTION 2

Eliminate steps 1 to 4 above
Install a custom template designed specifically for classifieds that already includes a shopping cart.
Apply for an Online Payment Gateway account with one of the many providers (to process credit card transactions)
Make sure that the shopping cart and payment gateway are compatible

I’m assuming there will be a configuration setting that connects the shopping cart with the Payment Gateway.

Appreciate any corrections/clarifications to the above and if there are any other options that could be considered.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla Templates & ECommerce

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:15 am

Installing a Quick Start Package in Option 2 is not recommended for production. A lot of users tend to get issues later with upgrading Joomla.

austtr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla Templates & ECommerce

Post by austtr » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:11 am

Per... thanks for the heads-up.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”