Make Joomla Layout Like MS FrontPage? Topic is solved

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
610Drew
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Make Joomla Layout Like MS FrontPage?

Post by 610Drew » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:06 pm

Back in 1999 with a laptop, a 56kpbs modem, a 640x480 digital camera, and MS Frontpage, it occurred to me that I could post travel pictures for friends and family to follow our trips. And thus, my first website was born. Over the next 7 years, I posted as we traveled and it served as fun for those following and a repository for myself.

Due to various issues, the travels mostly ended after the summer of 2006. But now, I'm at a point where I want to resume these travels and posting along the way. I have installed Joomla 3.9.21 and have been trying to understand how it all works together. What I really would like, at least to start, is a simple layout like I had with my Frontpage site but with a responsive template that will accommodate the variety of devices that exist today.

You can view it here as an example of the layout I'm attempting to achieve:

http://drew.mykitchentable.net

Does anyone have any suggestions for a combination of extensions and templates that I might use to achieve my goal? I'm currently fiddling with the Afterburner 2 template and the Rokmenu extension to make a "hamburger" menu for the smaller screens. It's just a basic site with very little content at this point while I figure out what I'm doing. However, you can see what I have here:

https://blog.drewtomlinson.com

Thanks in advance for any nudges or suggestions. I'm looking forward toward moving to the 21st century! :laugh:

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Make Joomla Layout Like MS FrontPage?

Post by AMurray » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:11 pm

Note Your joomla version is out of date - update to 3.9.25 (additionally, tomorrow - Tuesday 12/04/2021 3.9.26 is scheduled for release).

If you don't need bells and whistles for your site then I would suggest using the Protostar template included with Joomla - it is 'responsive', out of the box without any additional extensions required for that purpose; you can have it as a "boxed" or fluid (full width) layout, you can add a specific background (colour or image) either through the template settings or manually through CSS.

To migrate existing content, the simplest way would be copy and pasting the text content of your site to new joomla articles - one article for each web page, and then create new menu links for each article. You can even categorise the articles, and then create menu items to the 'category view' (specifying the category in the menu item) which displays a list of 'related' articles under the specified category.

Finally you may have to reinsert the existing images as they won't be within the file structure of the joomla site.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

610Drew
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 610Drew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:10 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:11 pm
If you don't need bells and whistles for your site then I would suggest using the Protostar template included with Joomla - it is 'responsive', out of the box without any additional extensions required for that purpose; you can have it as a "boxed" or fluid (full width) layout, you can add a specific background (colour or image) either through the template settings or manually through CSS.
Thank you for your suggestion. I'll fiddle with that template and see what I can come up with.

AMurray wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:11 pm
...You can even categorise the articles, and then create menu items to the 'category view' (specifying the category in the menu item) which displays a list of 'related' articles under the specified category.
I had hoped this was a possibility but have been unable to make that work as I expect yet. I'll fiddle some more and see if I can figure it out or at least come back with specific questions.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Cheers,

Drew

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:12 pm

If new to Joomla, would suggest then starting it the documentation: https://docs.joomla.org
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”