Template recommendation for a news-like style for a small club Topic is solved

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
George_59
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Template recommendation for a news-like style for a small club

Post by George_59 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Hi Guys,
This is my very 1st post in this forum, I'm new to Joomla but I do have basic html experience going back to the ape age of the Internet and some IT background.

I'm member of a newly created 10 member home owners association that we had to create to fight the management of the real association that went rough. So we decided to create a simple website that I'll create and update when it's needed in the form of a typical news site meaning, that on the main page under the banner and the menu the current issues, problems, and news would be listed like this:

Title of the article
A summary of the article in 2-4 sentences
a link to the full article on a different page

Title of the article

Title of the article

Etc.

I will get the writings from our members through email using the same style.

My question is this: Could someone recommend me a template of this style?

We don't need any fancy or unique template for this purpose, we don't care about that stuff, what is important is functionality only.

My sub question: Will or can a template include not one but two pages, one for the main page and one for the individual articles?

George_59

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Template recommendation for a news-like style for a small club

Post by Webdongle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:26 pm

Organising the content is imho far more important than a Template. A Template is just a framework with php calls that puts/gets data to/from the database.

Before you search for a Template I would recommend
  1. Install Joomla with 'Learn' sample data
  2. Use pen and paper. Work out your Categories, Articles and menus.
  3. Once you have the site planned out ... install Joomla (without sample data)in a different folder to a different database and install JCE and Akeeba.
  4. Build your site according to the written plans you have made.
  5. Make a backup and install it in a different folder to a different database
  6. Test 3rd party extensions on the copy.
  7. After testing 3rd party extensions ... install them in the original and make another backup.
  8. Delete the copy.
  9. Notate you backups meaningfully
Joomla has one component area and several Module Positions. What you want can be achieved by using Category blog and 'readmore'
https://docs.joomla.org/Help39:Menus_Me ... egory_Blog
https://docs.joomla.org/Splitting_an_Ar ... _read_more

The more time you spend understanding Joomla the easier it will be to build your site. imho working out the Categories is the first thing you should do. Think of Categories as draws in a filing cabinet and the Articles as the files. Then the menu items become an index that displays the content (or parts of it) and takes you to it.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:31 pm

A template does not equal functionality. A template simply renders web content. From the sounds of things, you want to create some kind of listing of a series of articles. The Category List will do that.

UPDATE: @Webdongle beat me to the answer. Read his advice above. 8)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:52 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:31 pm
... From the sounds of things, you want to create some kind of listing of a series of articles. ...

UPDATE: @Webdongle beat me to the answer. Read his advice above. 8)
Perhaps a category blog would meet
George_59 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Title of the article

Title of the article

Title of the article

Etc.

George_59
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by George_59 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:29 pm

Wow, that was fast! Thanks Webdongle and sozzled for your quick and detailed advices.

Let me clarify the list of steps installing multiple instances of Joomla, just to make sure I get it:

1. install Joomla with samples in a folder "LEARN".

3. install plain Joomla in a folder "FINAL" + install JCE and Akeeba (will find out what these extensions are)

5. Now this is what I don't get: Make a backup of the folder FINAL to FINAL1 but what do I have to "install" here, Joomla?? Or I have to copy the content of FINAL to a 3rd directory: FINAL-bk1?
"To a different database"??

7. Install JCE and Akeeba to the FINAL v. of Joomla and make a backup of FINAL again: FINAL-bk2

8. Delete Joomla v. FINAL-bk1

So, would you please, clarify step #5 for me, please?

Also, I need to come up with the basic stuff this week, but I'm not sure I'll be able to learn this whole thing AND post the content too before Sunday, so I'll do traditional html to the root for this purpose, but going back to Joomla, basically when I am done, I'll have Joomla (and the whole website) installed in a subfolder (including the index.php) instead of in the root? (meaning the folder "public-html")
OR, when the time comes, I can back it up and RESTORE it to the root?

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 pm

I don't think you want multiple instances of J! to do what you're looking at. Yeah, you could start with a website for practice (and that's one "instance") and another website for the home owner's association (and that's a second "instance") and there's two instances.

I guess the most difficult aspect of website creation and management is how to design the file systems (and their associated databases) that are needed to accommodate your websites. Although you could spend time reading all about it, you could indeed spend a lot of time searching for how most of us work our way through this matter, it may help to talk to a couple of people, via videoconferencing, to bring yourself up to speed.

I produced a video a couple of years back that demonstrates (in real time) how to install a J! website in 10 minutes. In that 10 minutes I go through the steps involved in (a) creating the filesystem, (b) defining the domain name, (c) uploading the installation package, (d) decompressing the installation package, (e) running the installation process, (f) logging into the backend, (g) installing a component, and (h) logging into the frontend. That's the basics.

If you're interested in spending an hour on Skype, contact me by email and we'll organise something. OK? No charge. 8)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:38 pm

One copy of Joomla with 'Learn' sample data in a folder
One copy without sample data (install Akeeba and JCE editor) in another folder.
Create the content in the one without sample data.

You now have 2 instances of Joomla
One with learning content
and
One you will building as your site.

Testing 3rd party extensions and experimenting you will not want to do on the Joomla that will be on your site. It would not give a good test trying on the one the sample data,
So using the backup file from your site to create a test Joomla would be good.

Akeeba backup packs all the the files and database into one file. That file can be used to install a copy of your site. Like installing Joomla but with all the changes you made.

You now have three instances
1. A Joomla that has examples of what can be done
2. A Joomla that you are building as your site.
3. A Joomla that looks like your site which you can test extensions and practice on without ruining your site.

You can use Wamp localhost on you PC (Mamp on a mac) if that's easier than working on the server.

I suggest spending a few hours on the Joomla that has the 'Learn' sample data before going on to the next step.

If you keep separate folders (level with each other) and databases it will all start making sense (and prevent backing up the wrong folders). Once you have completed step #1 (including a few hours 'playing with it') then post back. We can help with the rest.

George_59
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by George_59 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:50 am

Webdongle and sozzled: Thank you guys for your detailed replies, I'll follow your advice and start with the sample website and go from there. Soozled, thank you for offering me one hour of your time on Skype, I might take your offer a bit later.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:53 am

As you wish. FYI, I've been where you are: over ten years ago I created a J! website for the owners' assoc. of a group of apartments when I was on the body corporate committee. I have a little bit of experience in that area. :)

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”