Easy, simple, attractive way/path/option to signup/register a new user

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
ticonzero
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Easy, simple, attractive way/path/option to signup/register a new user

Post by ticonzero » Mon May 10, 2021 3:57 pm

Hello, I'm a volunteer for a not-for-profit project committed to conceiving a "way" to easy (considering the user audience not used to browse websites) and make attractive the registration of a new user on the home page of a Joomla website 3.9.

After a web search and a look in the Joomla section of the extensions on this website, I've just found that one of the possible options that meet my requirements is a free extension that enables the user to signup with a social account (Twitter, Facebook, etc.): SLogin.

If I was in the shoes of a user not familiar with registering a new account on a website, maybe I'd expect to find a guided procedure with popup windows or more than one webpage with plenty of information on any single step involved in the user creation.

I wonder if there is a template or extension (free) that may do that job; I'm open to any suggestions based on the requirements above.

Thank you.
Last edited by toivo on Tue May 11, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Templates

mjparadac
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Easy, simple, attractive way/path/option to signup/register a new user

Post by mjparadac » Mon May 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Hello ticonzero

You could try with these extensions:
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... r-builder/
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/easy-tour/

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon May 10, 2021 7:04 pm

What can be simpler than clicking 'Register' then filling in the form?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon May 10, 2021 10:27 pm

Agree with @webdongle I would have said the default registration form is the most basic of the lot.

I suppose you could provide basic instruction, in the login module's "before" text, with a simple paragraph of instructions.

Given the SLogin (social login) mentioned requires the user to have an existing Facebook account, this would seem unlikely (?) for your target audience whom you say is not ordinarily familiar with website account registrations. I don't know that FB sign-up is any easier than doing so through the site you're working on.
Regards - A Murray

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 pm

ticonzero wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:57 pm
If I was in the shoes of a user not familiar with registering a new account on a website ...
Oh, come on! Seriously? :-\ How many people do you know who use the internet every day of their lives to purchase products from the likes of Amazon, eBay, do their banking via the internet or create online personas on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn (and a whole host of others that I simply don't have the time for), or purchase flowers, kitchen utensils, clothes, groceries, etc., etc. ... (hmm?) ... who don't know how to do three-clicks-hey-presto-new-account? Seriously?

Even my 93 year-old mother (with her iPhone, 2 x iPads and laptop) subscribes to podcasts, does her banking, buys household necessities and browses more internet websites in a day than most people who use this forum ... and she does all this herself. So I don't know where these precious notions of "people not used to using web browsers" come from.

Certainly a lot of multi-billion dollar multinational enterprises like Apple, Microsoft, [youtube], etc. have produced encyclopedic volumes of "terms and conditions of use", privacy policies and a few "how to" notes about how to connect to their services but this is Joomla!

I don't know what is simple or "attractive": for instance, I look at a Picasso and I say, "Huh, what's that?" And yet, when I look at a Neanderthal cave painting, I intuitively understand something about what the artists were trying to represent. @Webdongle is probably right: what could be more difficult that to click a link that says "Create new account?" The OP obviously didn't find it too difficult in order to create an account here at this forum in order to ask the question, did they?

I think the answer is self-evident; it may require a bit more thought into how the question needs to be asked, though. 8) Good luck. ;)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

ticonzero
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ticonzero » Tue May 11, 2021 6:34 am

I forgot to say that mine is a project for a not-for-profit Asian organization.
Last edited by toivo on Tue May 11, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: unnecessary quote removed

ticonzero
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ticonzero » Tue May 11, 2021 7:17 am

At the moment, the options available are:

1. Registration using social media account (Facebook, Twitter) may easier the process of user signup (for example SLogin https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/slogin/ );
2. Tutorial extension: extension to show or guide users to know the features of a website (they are not free) (website tour builder, tutorial extension);
3. An Image slide show at the top of the home (along with the social login) or the entire home page will show with images how to register;
4. Video explainer to show how to easily register a new account in the top or covering all the hoe page;
5. Form extension (free) to step-by-step guides in the process of registering the user.

A great help would be to find a free Helper/Tutorial/website tour extension or an additional option not yet evaluated.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue May 11, 2021 10:50 am

Then perhaps a tutorial on how to use the tutorial on clicking 'Register. And perhaps a tutorial on how to create a social media account so they can use that to login to your site.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Tue May 11, 2021 9:40 pm

ticonzero wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:17 am
At the moment, the options available are:

1. Registration using social media account (Facebook, Twitter) may [be] easier [than] the process of user signup [via J! or third-party extensions];
True. Widely-accepted services like Google, Facebook and Twitter exist and several extensions can be found in the Joomla Extensions Directory that interoperate with J!. But this does not exclude the inbuilt core user registration facility that comes out-of-the-box with J!

ticonzero wrote:
2. Tutorial extension: ... to show or guide users to know the features of a website ...;
If you have website "features" or content that's not free then Google, Facebook and/or Twitter sign-up mechanisms may not be entirely appropriate for your purposes. However, it's not that difficult to build a tutorial—a document, app, series of screenshots or article—to guide "inexperienced users" through the sign-up process, is it?

ticonzero wrote:
3. An Image slide show at the top of the home (along with the social login) or the entire home page will show with images how to register;
See my comment to point 2 above and point 3 below.

ticonzero wrote:
4. Video explainer to show how to easily register a new account in the top or covering all the [home] page;
See my comment to point 2 above. I wouldn't cover my website home page with a video explaining how to register a new account. That would be both a nuisance (to those who have already signed-up) and a distraction for those who just want to learn what the website is all about. Nothing wrong with creating a video to explain these things but don't splash the home page with it.

ticonzero wrote:
5. Form ... [with] step-by-step guides in the process of registering the user.
Did you require a detailed step-by-step instruction when you signed up to this forum or any one of the millions of websites that populate the internet today? What are you hoping to achieve with this? If people suspect that it's difficult to create a new account then people will be even more suspicious about how easy the rest of the website is to navigate and use. First law of system design: KISS. 8)

Design a product that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it. ;)

I don't think the the [potentially racist] comment about Asian not-for-profits was either helpful or excusable.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”