make protostar and/or joomla 3.9 mobile friendly

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
bbxrider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

make protostar and/or joomla 3.9 mobile friendly

Post by bbxrider » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:10 am

here's the site under development
http://growlikemothernature.com/
joom 3.9 and default protostar template

many items get jammed up and cut off with chrome on galaxy s215g 6.2 screen,
at this point I'm assuming any browser and phone screen size will have the same
problems, some slightly better with a bigger phone, like 6.7, but not much better

with the phone being such a smaller platform, what options do I have
to make the site better viewable on the phone?

just make everything smaller?
for content like my horizontal menu, is there some css, or java, or html or php
that can detect the smaller phone screen size and perhaps change the font size small enough
to show? or make the menu go vertical just for the phone?
if able to make the font size smaller, I'm afraid it would be so small as to be unreadable

are there some templates that are more mobile friendly than others from the start?

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: make protostar and/or joomla 3.9 mobile friendly

Post by AMurray » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:44 am

First you would be strongly advised to update your site to the current 3.x release (3.10.1) noting that Joomla 3.9.x is no longer under development since 17th August 2021). A secondary advice would be possibly migrate to Joomla 4.0 (there's no rush; Joomla 3.10 is supported for 2 years, but is the only version from which you can eventually migrate to 4.0).

To let the site automatically adjust to whatever device is being used, you'd use @media queries in your CSS and write the appropriate CSS classes for the relevant devices. See https://www.w3schools.com/css/css3_mediaqueries.asp. Unfortunately that's as much as I know on the subject.

As for Protostar (Joomla 3.x) I'm not sure it's fully responsive to cater for todays standards and devices given it's a 10-year old template.

Joomla 4.x is the current, actively developed release (as of 17th August).
Reference to an earlier discussion on the forum, a panel member has created a version of Protostar for Joomla 4 see viewtopic.php?f=46&t=988263. Cassiopeia, the included template in Joomla 4 is the nearest equivalent to Protostar from J3.x

If you're staying with Joomla 3.9 or 3.10 for the moment, you could try "Protostar Plus" (google it). It's basically a modified version of the existing Protostar. I'm not sure what it's like concerning mobile friendly but it has a few enhancements.

Other suggestions would be looking to developers that produce Joomla templates using different frameworks such as Helix, T3 (T4), Gantry etc. Some of their templates could be quite complicated compared to Protostar, to I'd be cautious and be ready for a learning curve.
Regards - A Murray

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:51 am

Protostar is responsive out of the box, but your content and mods also have to be responsive.

bbxrider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bbxrider » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:47 pm

thanks for the replies, I'll check out the newer protostar and the @media. I installed j4.0 but not using it for now as it seems there is some extension, etc catching up to do and there is so much j3.x
anything to watch out for when upgrading to 3.10?

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”