template responsive seo friendly

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
spadajoker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

template responsive seo friendly

Post by spadajoker » Thu May 26, 2022 8:00 am

Hi everyone, I need your advice. I would like to improve my site in terms of seo and speed.
I currently use the Helix3 framework but it seems heavy as a template and badly digested by google so I wanted to understand if you could tell me a very light, responsive template that is already partially optimized for seo (when I mean optimized for seo I mean that it does not load thousands of css stylesheets etc etc).

I know it would be better to make a custom one but I wouldn't be able to.

Thanks in advance

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: template responsive seo friendly

Post by AMurray » Thu May 26, 2022 9:03 am

The template doesn't necessarily make the site "SEO friendly" but your content does.

If you want a simpler template, try Protostar, included with Joomla 3.x. You could also try other frameworks similar to Helix e.g. Gantry T4/T3, Astroid etc., but you may have the same issues.

However, that may not be the only factor contributing to the slow site; other factors could be your hosting service or internet connection etc.

I'm sure loading time does factor into SE rankings these days (and maybe style sheets and external scripts are also a contributor), but I have never experienced Helix being as bad as you say.

Can you provide extra information, such as:
  • the FPA report would help (see top of page - red box - Forum Post Assistant). That runs a utility on your site, and generates a report, you can post into the forum which will give us some more ideas of what the issues are - beyond those you describe with your template.
  • Also can you provide a report through something such as Google Page Insights, that points to what it thinks is slowing your site?
  • And finally a link to the site, so we can judge for ourselves, its loading speed or identifying if there's a significant delay in loading it?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

spadajoker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spadajoker » Thu May 26, 2022 12:52 pm

thaks for the reply.. I was asking this about the template as with pagespeed several problems emerged and some of these are related to the template:
1- Eliminate render-blocking resources: it tells me the template cache and the template fonts

for the fonts I was suggested to delete them and upload them directly to the website but I don't know how.

My site: www-aroma-massage.it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu May 26, 2022 10:02 pm

I assume the report is referring to Google Fonts perhaps slowing your site.

This gives you some idea how to change from Google Fonts to using "local" fonts uploaded on your site (hosted by your own web hosting): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/565 ... sted-fonts. Use the method here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/433 ... 1#43327311 to reference the fonts in your site.

I would stick with a few "web safe" fonts
https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_websafe_fonts.asp - being those that would be typically installed on user computers already and are best for readability on screens and on paper. Use other fonts sparingly.

Hope this points your way forward.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

spadajoker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spadajoker » Fri May 27, 2022 8:08 am

hi dear, forgive me I have read the guide but not being practical I would need a confirmation. if I understand correctly: i have to download font and convert them in woff, woff2, ttf e eot and upload in folder "font" in my template..after i have to insert

Code: Select all

@font-face {
  font-family: 'MyWebFont';
  src: url('webfont.eot'); /* IE9 Compat Modes */
  src: url('webfont.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'), /* IE6-IE8 */
       url('webfont.woff2') format('woff2'), /* Super Modern Browsers */
       url('webfont.woff') format('woff'), /* Pretty Modern Browsers */
       url('webfont.ttf')  format('truetype'), /* Safari, Android, iOS */
       url('webfont.svg#svgFontName') format('svg'); /* Legacy iOS */
in my css template file?

correct?
but I have another question, then I have to specify which tag to insert it (h1 h2 etc) or can I leave it like this if it suits me on the whole site? Also I have read that some I insert the weight of the font (300 400 500) is it necessary?

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”