Change template to a new

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
themisan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Change template to a new

Postby themisan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Hello dear friends,

Recently, i installed a new theme and i need to install also the sample data because i don't know very well the Joomla. I worry to install the sample data because in my previous template i have content that i don't want to lose.
Anybody has any suggestion to install the new sample data but without losing my important data ?
Please help me !

Thank you

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Change template to a new

Postby sozzled » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm not sure I understand your question. You have a Joomla website that already has some content: I assume you mean that your existing website has articles that you wrote. Is that correct?

You want to install "sample" data. Where does this "sample" data originate (where does it come from)?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

themisan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby themisan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:38 am

Sorry for my wrong words..
I have already a template with articles, modules, components etc. Yesterday i installed a new template but without the sample data that deletes all current data and make the website like the demo website.
My problem is that i want to install the sample data because the website will be the same like the demo that i saw but i want to keep all data (articles, modules, components etc).
I use joomla 3.6.5 and the name of the template is jsnboot.

AMurray
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby AMurray » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:59 pm

I believe you want to install the template including the sample data BUT retained your existing sites data, is that correct. ???

According to the template's documentation that is not possible and not how it is designed to work.
http://demo.joomlashine.com/index.php?v ... 5#jsn_boot

You either (1) install the template and sample data (which erases your existing site data - and it clearly states this) OR (2) you install separately a quick-start version of the template which is an entirely separate site, that includes joomla itself, plus the template, sample data and extensions to make a site that functions like the demo.

However the quick-start has its drawbacks such as including an out of date Joomla version and other problems if the developer doesn't distribute the quick-starts regularly with current versions of the extensions and Joomla, could quickly become a security risk.

I note you have stated you're using 3.6.5; you would be strongly advised to update this urgently to 3.7.5, the current Joomla release.

Additionally v 3.8.0 is less than a week away, according to the current release schedule.
https://developer.joomla.org/news/709-j ... lable.html

Curiously, one of Joomla 3.8's new features is a way to install sample data after you have installed the CMS or even an extension (like a template that you're trying to do this with).

The development team is always after testers of Beta's and RC's so why not test 3.8 RC and see if it does what you want to do. Install your JSNBoot template to a clean copy of 3.8 RC and just see if it allows you to install the sample data.

Then on stable release of 3.8, try it again with your own site, (but try it on a development copy not your production site).

You might ask the developer if the JSNBoot's sample data will work with the Joomla 3.8 sample data installation - but if it doesn't how soon a template version is to come out that will support that feature.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray

davemmason46
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby davemmason46 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:12 am

Just did this and it took about one day. Actually removed a JSN template that Needed to be upgraded and replaced it with another one, it was mostly a matter of setting the menus to the new template and placing modules where they needed to go on the new template. Most templates come with an image of where modules can go on the site.

Other alternative is to copy all content of articles to notepad, word, or the like and paste it back where you want later.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”