How to make single column - Protostar 1.0 @ J3.6.5

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
enticer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

How to make single column - Protostar 1.0 @ J3.6.5

Post by enticer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:39 pm

I am using protostar template and just wondering if there is a way to make it just a single column for the body contents of the website?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: How to make single column - Protostar 1.0 @ J3.6.5

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Update to J! 3.8.3: there were changes made to Protostar. J! 3.6.5 is outdated, vulnerable to attack and unsupported. Update to J! 3.8.3 and you will have the answers to your question.

enticer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by enticer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:19 pm

sozzled wrote:Update to J! 3.8.3: there were changes made to Protostar. J! 3.6.5 is outdated, vulnerable to attack and unsupported. Update to J! 3.8.3 and you will have the answers to your question.
thanks. I just migrated successfully to J3.8.3 and looks like there is no option for the template to do single column only. can you please direct me to the right section?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: How to make single column - Protostar 1.0 - J! 3.8.3

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 pm

Do you have the URL of a page (that we can visit) where you want to "do a single column" for the contents?

enticer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by enticer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:28 pm

hi sozzled, pls see the URL routech.com.hk
i did try to remove/unpublish that latest articles module I named Categories but that right column remains.

I only want a simple top menu, footer menu if possible and a single column for contents body in the middle. thanks.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: How to make single column - Protostar 1.0 - J! 3.8.3

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43 pm

Either you did not unpublish the latest articles module or you have enabled site caching.

Suggest that you do the following: Clear Cache (use the Delete All feature) and Clear Expired Cache.

Your "content" (i.e. the article) is a single column. There's nothing wrong, nothing you need to change, to display the article(s) in a single column. You do, however, have a module (or modules) assigned to Protostar's position-7.

enticer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by enticer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm

awesome! thanks sozzled. i have few more Q related to this template.

I would like to do similar menu at the footer however when i tried to create a module of menu type and assign to footer, it's displayed vertically.

also when i created a sample submenu, it does not show upon mouse over of the parent top menu. it only shows (dropdown upon mouse over) once the parent top menu is selected first.
you may select contact us and you would notice that's the time about us submenu will dropdown upon mouseover.

I am also struggling on how to make the contact form open already and does not require use to click its link before he/she can fill in the form?
http://routech.com.hk/index.php/contact-us

I am also getting the following after upgrading J to 3.8.3. I am searching on how I could upgrade my PHP to address this error without reinstalling my XAMPP. maybe this is something you already have at the top of your head.
"Error
We have detected that your server is using PHP 5.5.38 which is obsolete and no longer receives official security updates by its developers. The Joomla! Project recommends upgrading your site to PHP 5.6 or later which will receive security updates at least until 2018-12-31. Please ask your host to make PHP 5.6 or a later version the default version for your site. If your host is already PHP 5.6 ready please enable PHP 5.6 on your site's root and 'administrator' directories – typically you can do this yourself through a tool in your hosting control panel, but it's best to ask your host if you are unsure."

thanks

sozzled
I've been banned!

Keep it simple: one problem at a time, please

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:33 pm

Summarising your last post:

1) The original problem has been resolved. Good! Let's leave it there.

2) You're asking questions about

(a) how to style a [menu] module in a horizontal way and assign it to the footer area;

(b) how to display a submenu when you hover the mouse over a parent menu item;

(c) how to use the contact form; and

(d) a message that says you're using PHP 5.5.38.

Please open new topics separately about questions (a), (b), (c) and (d) above. In connection with question (d), please include your Forum Post Assistant report on the new topic that you create. Thank you.

The forum works best if we keep the discussions simple and focused on one problem at a time.

enticer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by enticer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 pm

agreed sozzled.
cheers

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by SharkyKZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:50 pm

kjersos wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:20 pm
Hi, Having a similar problem. Looking to only have one column, have copied protostar template to test for this page. https://www.kjersos.com/available-courses

As you can see I still have space for the right-handed column which I am trying to get rid of. I have double checked I can't seem to find any modules that are currently being published to this position. Running php version 7.1.18, Joomla 3.93 Have cleared cache. Site caching is not enabled.

Obviously I am missing something. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Nadja
Check if you have any modules published to position-7 or position-8 position.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”