Do I need a language file for English-only template?

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Scrabble
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Do I need a language file for English-only template?

Post by Scrabble » Wed May 02, 2018 11:24 am

I am in the process of creating a Joomla template completely from scratch using Bootstrap 4. This will be for my own and my locally based clients' websites (churches, local restaurant, etc) and will only ever be in English. When I package my template up for use on other sites, do I actually need language files?

Thank you.
Last edited by imanickam on Wed May 02, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Administration Joomla! 3.x to the forum Templates for Joomla! 3.x

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Do I need a language file for English-only template?

Post by imanickam » Wed May 02, 2018 1:26 pm

There is no need for a language file for the template.

However, the advantage that the language file brings is the use of variables (ie. language string constants) in the place of fixed values (ie. language string variables). These variables could be used in files such as index.php of the template.

For example, if you are planning to use the template for different establishments, and if you want to change the labels of the options then the only way to do is to use a language file. Without the language file, you would be customizing the labels in the xml files whenever they have to be changed.

For the above reason, I would suggest using the language file as it gives flexibility.

Review of the following documents would be of help.
https://docs.joomla.org/Specification_of_language_files
https://docs.joomla.org/Language_Guidel ... Extensions
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Scrabble
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Do I need a language file for English-only template?

Post by Scrabble » Wed May 02, 2018 1:51 pm

Thank you. I'll have a look at them a bit more closely. Something else to learn.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”