the effect of caching and number of positions on speed

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
kiasati
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

the effect of caching and number of positions on speed

Post by kiasati » Tue May 08, 2018 6:07 am

Hi

i have made a template and to make it fast, i've kept the number of positions and modules to the minimum.

now at the top of the template i have three positions, "navigation", "breadcrumbs" and a position named "top"
there is only one module in each of them.

i'm wondering can i combine them in one position named "top" or it is standard to have "navigation" and "breadcrumbs" positions in Joomla templates?

by the way, does it combining them effect on template speed? or because i have enabled caching it doesn't make any changes on template speed?
Last edited by toivo on Thu May 10, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved to 3.x Templates
Learning never stops...

starazure
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: the effect of caching and number of positions on speed

Post by starazure » Thu May 10, 2018 2:39 pm

kiasati wrote:Hi

i have made a template and to make it fast, i've kept the number of positions and modules to the minimum.

now at the top of the template i have three positions, "navigation", "breadcrumbs" and a position named "top"
there is only one module in each of them.

i'm wondering can i combine them in one position named "top" or it is standard to have "navigation" and "breadcrumbs" positions in Joomla templates?

by the way, does it combining them effect on template speed? or because i have enabled caching it doesn't make any changes on template speed?
I like your question.

While I agree that the less, the better, an extra module position will give you more flexibility for maintenance.

So an extra position or two is basically a php IF statement to count modules in that position and render it. Apache is fast to handle such a simple basic statement and this should have a negligible effect on speed.

I don't use Joomla caching but use an overall caching provided by my host in my inexpensive shared hosting. My site still loads in around 0.4 seconds. What I am trying to say is focus on speed without caching first and in the end turn on caching to give it the finishing touches.

What really counts are:
1) put your images on cloud and compress them. Don't load huge images and load only what's needed.
2) minimize requests - combine css, just, images.. this is very important.
3) Do not, I repeat - do not install extensions or plugins unless you really have to.

Most importantly the template should be light but you are building your own template so I'm sure you are focusing on it.

I can go on and on with more tips but for now this is good. Good luck.
Free fastest Joomla themes - https://starazure.com/joomla-templates

Free useful Joomla extensions - https://starazure.com/extensions

kiasati
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: the effect of caching and number of positions on speed

Post by kiasati » Sun May 13, 2018 4:38 am

starazure wrote:
What really counts are:
1) put your images on cloud and compress them. Don't load huge images and load only what's needed.
2) minimize requests - combine css, just, images.. this is very important.
3) Do not, I repeat - do not install extensions or plugins unless you really have to.

Most importantly the template should be light but you are building your own template so I'm sure you are focusing on it.
I used to use "sj_market" template, it was awful. so i decided to build my own template. i did everything to keep it light and clean to make it fast.
I worked a lot on on-page seo, uninstalled extra extensions, installed and configured jch_optimeze, optimized every single image first with photoshop and then tinypng.com, and everything that i found on the internet.
at last i enabled caching and submitted my site on cloudflare cdn.

but the ttfb didn't get as low as i expected.
when i was done ttfb was 0.3 ms which i wan't pleased with. but now after a few months, it got a little higher, i don't know why this happens.

i should mention that my site audiences are in iran and my host is in germany, that's why i used cloudflare CDN.

i brought the site point up to 99 in gtmetrix and google insights. and yet the only problem is the server response time. :|

Code: Select all

www.farafan-market.com
Learning never stops...

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”