Protostar menu hover issue

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Protostar menu hover issue

Post by marksfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:34 pm

sozzled wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:17 pm
You have a number of extensions that were not successfully installed and the "extension discovery" procedure may be helpful in remedying these matters.
I have posted extension discovery results. I have not installed any extensions except Artio and JoomHack, so there are no other extensions that can have been unsuccessfully installed. I can only copy and paste what the software reports. You are correct, I did not uninstall Artio, because the suggestion was to disable it.
sozzled wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:17 pm
Fact 4: We cannot reproduce the symptoms of your problem(s) on the website(s) that we manage.
I understand it may not be replicated elsewhere. I have the same problems sometimes in my job when a customer tells me his machine is doing something and I cannot make it happen. It is usually down to customer error, and I hold my hands up to not really understanding all the whys and wherefores of Joomla, hopefully trying to make something simple and readable.

But i do appreciate your input.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm

@marksfish:

1. Please read what @annahersh wrote a short while ago. There may be some benefit in following that advice.

2. You posted your FPA report; this is not the "extension discovery" procedure I was trying to refer to. See https://docs.joomla.org/Help39:Extensio ... r_Discover for information about that service.

3. It's your choice whether you use Artio SEF or JoomHack; I [personally] don't use either of them but I'm sure there are many people who do use them. I can say, without fear of contradiction, that neither of them provides any guarantees that they do what they claim to do; there are no certainties about anything (except "death and taxes"). :)

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm

sozzled wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm
@marksfish:

1. Please read what @annahersh wrote a short while ago. There may be some benefit in following that advice.
I have seen it and will look to do it tomorrow morning.

sozzled wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm
2. You posted your FPA report; this is not the "extension discovery" procedure I was trying to refer to. See https://docs.joomla.org/Help39:Extensio ... r_Discover for information about that service.
I realise that and I addressed it earlier (response uderlined).

marksfish wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:50 pm
sozzled wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:45 pm

You may also want to try Extensions » Manage » Discover to see what is displayed and use this feature to install those extensions that weren't successful with the usual installation process.
It is a hobby website, I don't rely on it for revenue generation. For £30 quid a year, I can't complain.

Artio was disabled and made no difference, so I re- enabled it. I prefer it enabled as I can see what is going on more than I can with the standard Joomla interface.

No Matching Results

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks for clearing that matter up—making it clearer what "no matching results" meant. :)

There's definitely a problem with Artio SEF on your website! It's your business if you want to fix it (but it's off-topic from this discussion, I think).

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 am

OK
Already disabled Joomsef and cleared cache(disabling is not enough) ... no difference
Reinstalled core files ... no difference
Checked no user.css (At least it didn't show in the Template's files edit in the backend).
Tried different menu item ... no difference
Removed the _menu from the Menu module's custom css ... no difference
Tried with 'Force https' 'No' ... no difference
Nothing discovered nor updates showing.
Session path is not defined but fpa shows tmp writeable(so must be defaulting to the site /tmp ?)
Can't spend more than a few mins checking things because it upsets the professionals who make money fixing sites.

fpa shows Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. POST Size: 8M ... both should be at least 64M each(doubt if that is the cause but needs sorting)

Install Akeeba and test on Wamp localhost.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Thank you to everybody, especially Webdongle, that tried to help and for all the time spent on my issue. Still not 100% sure what is going on, but I will continue to "play" until I find the solution. When I find out what my problem was, I shall report it back.

Ta ra.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Before you do anything else install Abeeba and make a backup then test the backup on localhost.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 pm

I bit the bullet and created a fresh install, after playing with the demo site and seeing it does do what I want it to do. Luckily the site wasn't so large, so it only took a couple of hours. I didn't install any of the add ons (Artio being the one most complained about), but the Joomla SEF friendly urls aren't as friendly. Anyhow, problem has been solved now, thank you for all the input.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm

marksfish wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 pm
... but the Joomla SEF ... URLs aren't as friendly.
Start a new forum topic, explain the problem, and I'm sure we'll be able to help. ;)

As I wrote earlier in this topic, Artio SEF is unnecessary; it's the source of many complaints and anything that Artio SEF can do can be done without it.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”