Text in Bubble won't work

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
sv9779
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Text in Bubble won't work

Post by sv9779 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:56 pm

I used to use colored bubbles with rounded corners for some text posts in modules. This is an example of the code.

<p>[block type="rounded" color="#FFF" background="#577c82"]</p>
<h3 style="text-align: center;"><span style="font-size: 18pt;">A Call To Arms</span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</h3>
<p><span style="font-family: 'times new roman', times; font-size: 14pt;">Cross loch and bog and ben and glen</span><br /><span style="font-family: 'times new roman', times; font-size: 14pt;">To bedomains.</span><br /><span style="font-family: 'times new roman', times; font-size: 14pt;">Sit near the heat we’ve saved a seat</span><br /><span style="font-family: 'times new roman', times; font-size: 14pt;">Where history of Baird remains.</span></p>
<p>© 2013 Karen[/block]</p>

This is what comes out on the front end. (I'm deleting a lot of the text for the example)

[block type="rounded" color="#FFF" background="#577c82"]

A Call To Arms
Cross loch and bog and ben and glen
To be sure tis under yer skin.
The pipes are call’n do ye hear my friend?
Come back to kith and kin.
he worlds awash and loyalties lost
But never at Baird’s domains.
Sit near the heat we’ve saved a seat
Where history of Baird remains.

© 2013 Karen[/block]

I used it in Joomla 3.1 with Helix shaper II, Now with Joomla 3.9.3 and Helix Ultimate it doesn't work.

I take the exact code and text and copy it to a new module and nothing happens on the front end. Plus the short code shows up on the front page.

Any help would be appreciated

Steve
Last edited by imanickam on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to the forum Templates for Joomla! 3.x

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Shortcode to render "text in bubble" doesn't work

Post by sozzled » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Shortcodes, like the one you're trying to use, require plugins to make them work. I don't know what is the specific plugin that implements the [block] ... [/block] shortcode, sorry.

There are, however, lots of other ways to render a quotation in a "bubble" without using shortcodes.

sv9779
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Text in Bubble won't work

Post by sv9779 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Well that gives me something to look for. I must have had the plugin on the old system. But it's been so long I've forgotten a lot.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 pm

No sweat. As I said, there are lots of ways to render quoted text (with a citation) without having to use shortcodes. ;)

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:24 pm

If you wanted to use them , you could try this one: https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... /tooltips/
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:50 am

@AMurray: that might be a nice tooltip extension but that's not what we're discussing.

The basic quoted text looks like this

Code: Select all

<blockquote>quoted text<cite>source</cite></blockquote>
All that needs to be done is to style the <blockquote> with "rounded corners" and style the nested <cite> element and you're good to go.

sv9779
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sv9779 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:57 pm

I found an easy way to add a text box with a colored background to a module. I found that if I use the "insert table" in the JCE editor I can just use one column and one row. Then I can change the background color and add a colored border. Works pretty good.
Just thought I would pass this along in case someone runs across this

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”